Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicator woes 2013 s3 sigma

ballisticsupersport

Hi All, my car is a 2013 supersport and I'm now on my 3rd indicator relay.

The last time I replaced the relay the indicators started off working fine (including hazard lights), but after a few outings they started 'sticking' on (the light stays on continuously). This can normally be resolved by switching the toggle switch a few times, however eventually this doesn't work and they remain on (until you move the toggle switch to the off position).

I fitted another new relay yesterday and the problem occurred almost immediately - this makes me think it isn't the relay itself. Or is there a known faulty batch of relays?

The car still has the original lamps so the load on the relay hasn't changed.

Anyone else experienced similar?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Tom

There's a known problem with the hazard warning light switch that can sometimes be resolved by cycling it just as you have done with the indicator switch. But I can't remember it damaging the module. Might be worth exploring.

Trying to think of a cause of the lights staying on all the time other than a problem in the module or downstream. Has it happened on both sides, and does only one side stay on? 

While we're waiting for the experts: What's the battery voltage with the engine not running and at 3,000 rpm?

Jonathan

Voltage when engine not running is 12.6v, didn't want to rev it to 3000rpm at 9pm so will do that tomorrow evening.

I can't recall getting a buzzing noise from my hazard light switch, I'll listen again tomorrow. If this is the problem, it's presumably just a case of replacing the switch?

Martin, yes a breakfast blat sounds good! I can't make this Sunday morning but I was thinking of popping over to Headcord in the afternoon if the weather's good.

Tom 

When the light comes on permanently, i.e. indicators on but lamps not flashing, are the bulbs lit at full brilliance or are they a bit dim?  Some flasher types are load dependant and may not flash at all if an incorrect bulb is fitted or if the lamp has a poor earth.

I would start by cycling the hazard switch, they rarely pack up for good, they just need a bit of exercise to clean the contacts.  Contact cleaner is a good idea but a good old wiggle normally does the trick, at least for a while.  Normally the indicators don't work at all if the hazard switch is playing up.

There is a black wire that comes from the indicator relay socket and is daisy chained, eventually to an earth lug, as far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, near the wiper motor.  Check that this earth connection is tight and that the corresponding connector inside the relay socket moulding hasn't been pushed back so it only makes intermittent contact.  I had this once with a relay and it had me going for a long time.  You could try pushing/wiggling the relay while the indicators are on to see if it makes any difference.  Check the other contacts in the relay socket too.

Paul