Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticking throttle, xflow

Stridey

Seem to have a sticky throttle, revs then slowly release back down. And by hooking toe under throttle to release it eases off.

happened after it got hot today. 

I have wd40d around pedal and near weber linkage. Feels like the cable is sticking in the tube? 

Any suggestions?

I haven't ventured down the pedal area (yet).... But at throttle end I can pull cable and it appears free running, but pedal is 'sticky'.    I do have spare throttle cable with me. Currently away from home so can I ask what is involved to replace cable, do I have to open pedal box from engine bay? Or is the free end of my new cable threaded through that to appear down by pedals? 

The cables top the list of suspects because water can run down from the carb end and sits at the bottom of the loop. Oil (3 in 1) can help and displace the water, but it's best applied to a new cable to prevent problems in the first place.

The other problem can be the throttle pedal bush, again through rust and crud. Dismantle, grease and refit, it's not a big job.

Quick'ish' fix was detaching it and spraying wd40 (no 3in 1 on board) down to soak overnight. Freed it up enough and a nice long  drive to Dunkirk has seemed to worked as well. 

Will replace cable at earliest op once home.

thank you for your tips, great to be able to do a running repair with your advice and guidance, cheers!

Further to my previous posts and got the sake of the 'archive', in the less time pressured atmosphere of working on the car at home I did the following: Moved pedal to nearer the driver position and greased the tubular bearing with lithium grease. Golfjuliettango, I think this will address any sticking at pedal side, cheers.

Looked at where the return springs are at the Webers and saw that the nose side return spring is fixed to a less beefy bracket and that it seemed ever so close to the Weber body, so I bent it away to avoid any scraping as it moves up and down and now the whole assembly seems very free flowing.