Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New windscreen on my SV

Q Catcher

The old windscreen cracked ... so a new one was fitted recently.  It's a similar design but from a different manufacturer, with a 'Tyneside' logo in the bottom corner.

The problem is - and I didn't discover this until driving the car - that the frame is not actually attached to the glass, only wrapped around it.  And because the frame is a little bit bigger than the glass, i.e. not at all a tight fit, it moves relative to the glass, creating some very undesirable effects when driving:

- with the roof off, a whistling/screeching noise at anything over 60mph

- with the roof on, the top 'run' of the frame lifts upwards, revealing the heater top foil strip, and, best of all, letting rainwater in.

I have contacted the supplier and am awaiting their response.

Has anyone else had issues with Tyneside screens?

Mine also has a new screen, by from Jon at Millwood. ( it's branded Tyneside ).  It was supplied assembled. However it has the rubber trim that sits around the glass. 

There is no movement, nor could there ever be, it's very tight !

The windscreen is back with National Windscreens.  I now know that they bought it (fully assembled) from Caterham Cars.  Their initial analysis is that the rubber surround is 0.5mm thinner than the one used on the Pilkington windscreens.  Their (NW's) Special Glazing Department is going to try to correct it as they don't think it's worth trying to deal with CC.

I wonder: has anyone else with a Tyneside windscreen yet driven at motorway speeds with the roof on?

Well, it's not Tyneside's fault.  I'll come to that in a moment.

National Windscreens decided they couldn't effect a satisfactory repair to the (replacement) windscreen - they've been good at keeping me in the picture - so ordered another one.  It arrived today and I went down to the depot to check it.  Same fault as before: the frame moves independently of the glass and you can move the rubber gasket around with your fingertips. So it can go back, too.

On a different matter, I spoke with Williams, the Caterham dealer, today.  In passing, I mentioned the windscreen problems and they said that they are the people supplying National Windscreens.  And they confirmed that they sent my screen out yesterday.  So now they're in the picture and will speak to CC about the problem.

Out of curiosity, I called Tyneside, who told me that they don't assemble - they supply the glass.  Someone else adds the frame and rubber gasket.

I've called CC.  They say they don't assemble the windscreens.  So I don't know who does, but it looks like whoever it is is using a different gasket which is thinner than spec.  I wonder how many they've made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The third new windscreen arrived on Thursday.  Down at the depot, I briefly checked the top frame rail, which looked like it was actually attached to the glass.  When it came to fitting it today, the lower frame rail came away from the glass.  In effect, the same problem.  So it's back with National Windscreens (who are still being helpful ... and nearly as exasperated as I am).

I called Williams, who confirmed it didn't come via them.  Separately, they've received a replacement screen directly from the factory for me.  They've checked it today, and called me ... the frame is not securely attached to the glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Revilla, good to meet you on Friday. Not sure where National Windscreens have been getting their stock from but yours was direct from Caterham South and as we checked there was no movement in the frame at all. Pity I hadn't seen this thread earlier else i would have checked for manufacturer stamps on it. Is yours from Tyneside or another manufacturer? We also have a screen for an S3 in black on order at the moment so will get that checked when it arrives.
h

Hi Ren, yes good to meet you too and have a nosey at your nice new car! Mine is stamped Tyneside. I've got it all fitted and it all seems fine. Been happily blatting round the Loughborough area today and taking the kids for rides. Everything seems securely attached. Thanks for your help and hopefully catch up with you around the area sometime. Cheers, Andrew.

• 1 month later...

After about four or five problematic windscreens (I've lost track, to be honest), I now think I have one that's OK.

The previous one, again branded Tyneside, turned out to have a couple of problems: some of the heater elements didn't work; and there were some strange diagonal lines on the glass that only showed up when it was wet.  It went back.

This latest one, branded Uroglas, has been provided by National Windscreens, who organised getting it made.  Fitted only yesterday, it's still early days, but it's looking good.