Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intercom System

DC

At long last my R300 is nearing completion, ready for the sunny days (some hope). Whilst reading this month's Low Flying, she who must be obeyed noticed the photo of the couple with the intercom headset, and thought that would be a good idea for our forthcoming Spanish trip, as the R300 is a lot louder than my previous 1.8SS.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to the best setup, at a reasonable cost? Ideally, with the option to listen to MD player or two way radio. Looking at the DT catalogue, the Terratrip seems a good bet.

Dave C

WEL653

I looked into this for a drive to Italy last september. Never actually bought one but the Terratrip option looked good. Another one is Peltor - used in rallying quite a lot I believe.

We ended up just using hand signals 😳 *tongue* and earplugs to avoid major "Caterham ear" after 2200 non-motorway miles in 4 days. Lots of fun in the Black Forest and Alps though *thumbup* 😬

Edited by - ewenm on 6 Feb 2003 15:29:26

we have installed the Peltor system, and the +9VDC battery operated amplifier that works the treat. got it cheaper from DT than other sites. will upgrade to the +12VDC amplifier which takes a mobile and audio input soon as have stable employment. the battery lasts for about 12 hours continous use. you can whisper to each other the noise cancelling is so good.

miraz and i are going to see if the peltor headsets will work with his Terratrip when his car is back together as that amplifier is cheaper than the Peltor one.

we use earplugs on short journeys but the Peltor for long trips is great. unless the mrs is snoring *mad* 😬 *idea*

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

The terratrip intercom is very useful, as my wife will testify to. It is reasonably priced and the only weakness is the fly lead from the headphone to the jack. These take a lot of abuse and fail after about 10,000 miles (3 years). So at that point I bought new headsets.

Main uses include:

can speak to each other without losing our voices from shouting

keeps a baseball hat on at illegal speeds

allegedly can have a cd player plumbed into the radio socket - never tried as that would be tempting fate with the long arm of the law!

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I think Steve may have got a little mixed up *confused*

I use an autocom intercom system, which has facilities for music input, cell phone hookups, two way radio all built into the base unit, but comes with very expensive headsets.

I'm working on a group deal for the autocom system, that may potentially involve the use of other headsets if autocom can't bring their prices down enough.

Miraz

I've found you do not need to use the Intercom headsets with their system. I've attached two pairs of stereo headsets with boom mics to my system using some DIN plugs, you just have to know which pins to connect to.

There is also guidance on the web on making up your own cables for connecting mobile radios to it.

I find it very useful as it automatically dips the music volume (you can connect any music devices to it using a 3.5mm plug) when you speak and cuts it off when your mobile rings (which you can also connect using a 3.5mm plug), if you've got voice commands on your phone you don't even have to press any buttons.

James.

Thanks for all the advice given. It's good to know that these systems work. I will do some sums to see which is best value for money with the features I require.

Dave C

WEL 653 (Soon to be on the road, subject to SVA)

I too was looking at putting an intercom system into our Caterham,so will follow this thread closely. I work as Helicopter Navigator/observer, and use Bendix/king kit, with Peltor headsets, but we use Helmet Integrated Systems lids, which have Peltor kit in them, all good stuff and comfy too, but pricey as hell( lid is 1K+)

Price of Peltor from DT as I recall, was c70 pounds for the amp and c125 pounds each for the headsets. used them on long runs inc Bordeaux - very comfortable and the nc microphone is superb.

Fitted the amp between the seats on the bulkhead running the mic leads behind the seats attaching them with a ty-wrap to the shoulder harness mount leaving the socket easily accessible to plug the headsets in. Use the PP9 battery, it lasts ages.

Peter 7 Rosina

C7 PRG

XFlow + Clams

The 24 carat Solution *wink*

I to have been thinking about an intercom system for the Caterham. After searching through blatchat archives I saw something about a cheap (approx £20) but effective unit from Maplins. Only allows you to talk to each other not as amp for audio equipment, sold for bike rider and pillon to talk.

Whilst looking at the Maplin site came across another interesting option. They sell a PMR 466 radio system that can take 2 headsets allowing you to use it as an intercom system. If you add in another radio you could use it in another car and you can talk to each other, add in more radios talk to more poeple. Could be very useful in convoys. Not necessarily a cheap option but no worse than some of the others. For more info on the radio see here. Alternatively go to the Maplin website here and do a search on "alan 456", this should list the radios plus the accessories.

Very tempted by this option. If I go for it will feed back to blatchat.

Big Al

(I'm not big and I'm not clever) *biggrin*

Yeah Al.

I used the Maplins 'Chatterbox' unit as the base amplifier, but modified a pair of their stereo headphones (while using the original boom mike) for use with the rig to give 'both ear' sound. It has the option of full talk between driver and passenger.Independent variable volume control and a switch to turn your headset volume off, but still allow a passenger to hear you if so required (unless they have turned you 'off' too !)

Cost was about three hours time/labour + 40ukp. *thumbup* Very satisfying project. Headset connections are by std 3.5mm plug so I guess one could rig in a cassette/Mp3/CD player if so required.

Result!!!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

I bought the Terrtrip about 4 years ago for a drive down to Le Mans and have used it many times since. Frankly. with a straight cut Quaiffe box (very noisy) it makes the difference between a comfortable ride and severe noise fatigue after a few hours. And, as has been said, you can communicate with your passenger at normal voice levels.

I tried to hook it up to my mobile phone but, in spite of shielding, ferrite clamps on the cables etc., you get the most awful breakthrough from the phone. I guess the Peltor unit is designed properly with this in mind so doesn't have the problem.

Wouldn't leave home without one, except on my own or on short drives.

Miraz,

The headsets are Labtec Axis-002 headsets, I think about £20 each. They are stereo headphones that go behind the head with a noise cancelling boom microphone that you can swivel out of the way. They also have volume control and a mute switch for the microphone on the lead to them, which are handy if you and your passenger prefer different music volume or you don't want your passenger to hear you.

Any questions about wiring them up let me know.

Cheers,

James.

• 14 years later...

Most people on here now have either Starcom or Autocom intercoms wired in with a variety of headsets from in ear buds to full over ear cups. The most expensive digital sets have noise cancelling, Bluetooth for phone, and music inputs. I have the Starcom ones which work perfectly for me. Should be quite a bit in the Archives about this.

Brian

• Leadership Team

Gnockoff

Is your Starcom battery powered or off the car's electrics?  I have heard that there can be interference if wired into the car, though Starcom have a cable to overcome this.

I've been humming and haring for a while over going ahead with one.

I have a Starcom Digital system wired into the car. The cables (fused) go from battery to main unit in boot with cables from that to a remote control ( which duplicates controls) on tunnel top in front of gear lever. Another cable goes from main unit into cockpit for iPod.  The sockets for headsets are in the rear bulkhead. I get no interference at all. If you go on Starcom website, they do car setups as well as M/cycle ones. I found it easier to phone them up, the bloke I spoke to was very knowledgeable and extremely helpful, although that was about four or five years ago. 

Brian

• Leadership Team

Thanks for the reply.

I have been thinking of it, and did phone them before Christmas, and again, a month of so ago.  Just seems like a big outlay for what thus far would have been limited use (around £600 per car, inc. a cheap radio and inc. VAT), though I'll review that after going on a touring holiday in May.

Having eventually clarified what I would need, it was interesting to find the quote Starcom emailed me was considerably higher than the price for the individual parts from their website.

I did also talk to the guy at Earshot Comms., who was very knowledgeable and helpful, until it came to actually getting him to send me a quote, which took quite some prompting.

So at present, my oppo with the Morgan and I are still considering it.