Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thundersport or Softbits

IanReeves

And I'm a fan of  Thundersport !  Although not used SBFS  , Thundersport are the CC suppliers and I think the strap fittings better than SBFS,  the  vinyl T sport use match the side screens , I'm very pleased with the service  and products you can visit the factory at Oxted meet Jemma they measure and make sure you are happy. 

Loads of debates in the archives. I prefer to support softbits as they designed the halfhood concept originally, and I don't like firms  copying others ideas commercially.

I also don't like the heavier/stiffer material or the slightly lower sides at the rear of the oxted one, as I find they restrict rear 3/4 view for me.

Equally you can go to see them for personal measuring service, but judging by their range of templates they have a lot more experience of the different fits of different car/bar/screen/cage combinations.

Thanks folks, I have a SBFS one now, but with the change of Roll bar it's not going to fit correctly, so was going for a new one. I don't like the side straps on mine, but think the previous owner had them modified to fit onto harness eyebolts. They are a right pain to get on and off making a 60 second job 5 mins. It's also ripped on the rear clear section. 

I have bought from both. Two from SBFS and one from thunder sports. The thendersport flapped so much it hit my head, I went back to see what they could do...they did not resolve it so I bought a SBFS which flaps but not as much.

i really like the thundersport side fittings but feel that the double rear strap on the SBFS works better. So one each but the flapping was the ultimate decider on SBFS ....

a mix of each would help but there has been so much discussion on who to use ....

Mine  have been fir SV or CSR 

• Area Representative

Ian B: first half hood = David Mirylees article Jan/Feb issue of Low Flying 1990.

I remember thinking about something like it in about 1998 when I realised that the full hood (on my car and in my opinion) was horrible. I thought (I was mistaken) that you should not use the rollbar as a support, so didn't do anything about it.

Yes, Jill and the SBFS team came up with a finished commercial product.

• Area Representative

Used a SBFS Half Hood & found it very flappy even when 'tight' & the strap attachment to the front stud of the boot cover not reliable. In prolonged rain it leaked. Plus you have to weather seal the fabric periodically.

A good well made product in that as with the Thundersport Half Hood easy to fit, remove & stow.

I went for the Thundersport Half Hood because the strap attachments were better thought out and being vinyl it tensioned nicely with no flapping about & no need to re-seal.

Endless reasons could be quoted for buying or not buying a particular hood....the choice is yours!

Maybe mine is different to Geoff's then, but it's now 16 years old and not needed to be re-waterproofed yet (I use the car all year round in all weathers, including "biblical" *laugh* ).

The front stud on the boot cover should be a 1-way "directional" popper fitted the right way up, and I can't undo that in the "wrong" direction no matter how hard I try, so not sure how it can be "unreliable" *confused*

Never had an issue with it flapping, even at over 100mph, but then if the side straps aren't tight (if the 1-way popper isn't right) then I guess that might be a cause?

As said, try and take a look at both and decide for yourself.

(Stephen, that's exactly what I was saying, the designer/developer of the first commercial product was SBFS *wink* ).