Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Key won't come out (newbie)

Number Seven

Hi

I've just collected my new (to me) 1.4 K Series Classic from Caterham this weekend (one of their Select Cars) It is a 2013 car.

It has both an immobilizer (activated and de-activated on a plip) and push button start (not sure this is relevant)a

The problem I am having is when I stop the car and turn the ignition off (getting petrol or arriving home) the ignition key refuses to come out of the ignition barrel - no amount of pushing in, twisting, pulling helps. I've tried moving the key (like a safe breaker) in small increments but no use.

Weird thing is, after a few minutes it will slide out as if it was previously locked inside but now free (like a washing machine door)

Given the car has a years warranty is this something I should be getting Caterham to sort or is it pilot error and there is a knack?

Tony

Hi Brian

I have tried it in every position available and it refuses to come out initially.

It goes in easy enough and turns freely. I was given two keys and I have tried both with the same result

I find it really strange that after a while the key will come out without difficulty but this can range from a minute to a few minutes which is quite frustrating

Tony

Is it a steering column lock?

Any suspicion of friction or not quite getting to the right position?

It needs to go back. But while you're waiting for that I'd try:

• A gentle transverse clout to the lock when it happens.
  • Some lubricant in the keyhole and on the key, either silicone or graphite, followed by twiddling the key.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan

I am happy to try all of your ideas - I was thinking some lube might help.

Ive not contorted myself with a torch to do the pot holing required to examine the barrel but will when I have a few minutes

What makes me scratch my head (a lot) is that after a while it comes out as if on oiled roller bearings ha ha, trouble is I can't sit around waiting until it decides to share the ignition key with me (like my dog with a sock)

Tony

I had exactly this problem with mine after a couple of years.

I dismantled the ignition switch and steering lock mechanism completely and it turned out to be the lock barrel.

It was made quite poorly, and the springs were pushing the key off centre rather than moving the locking tabs completely into the barrel. Once I'd seen the problem, I found just applying slight pressure to the key allowed it to turn easily. This explained how sometimes it was fine and others I just couldn't remove the key.

Rather than buy a new barrel and key, I managed to make a small piece of brass and rivet it into the barrel so the tip of the key was forced to stay central against the spring pressure. It has worked perfectly since.

As yours is under warranty, take it back and make sure you get a new lock barrel *smile*

Duncan

May be a bit of a long shot, but a possible explanation for the "time delay" effect ...

Does you car have a heater? If so, it will be blowing hot air pretty much straight around the ignition lock. Something possibly expands and sticks, frees up again when it cools down and contracts?

Had exactly the same problem when I first got my car. Could never get the bloody key out and felt like a real plonker every time I stopped the car. I don't know how but over a couple of weeks I seemed to have found a way of pushing and twisting and it comes out every time now. 

Mine was exactly the same, if you could get the key at just the right angle it was fine. Now I have modified it, anyone could remove it easily. I investigated as I was planning a trip to Scotland and didn't want to get stranded.