Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trouble engaging second gear when cold

finmac

Steve at SPC says the factory tolerances on second are too tight. He hones them to a top secret size which prevents them seizing. That said its usually when the box gets really hot. In the 2 minute conversation I had with him, he stated he has done this on lots of brand new boxes for track/race cars.

Ian

Assume you have the correct grade and quantity of oil in there too?

Give Steve a call at SP Components he's done a lot with the 6 speed and unlike others does not simply rebuild with stock parts engineers some of the design faults out. Lots of little tweaks which collectively make a significant difference. He's made his own lightweight laygears too.

Doubt you'll get away with a 2 min chat though, allow 45-60 in my experience  *thumb_up*

Hi guys,

Ive just had the full SPC treatment on my 6 speed:)

In the 17 years ive had it in the car, It had never gone from 1st to 2nd when cold and to be honest hadn't really gone into 2nd that well when warm. It had always rattled like a bag of spanners when at idle, had leaked  between the gearbox casings and also by the speedo drive...

I had the lightened layshaft, ground down 2nd diameter mainshaft (whatever that is!), different syncro springs, different syncro inserts, upgraded spacers, an uprated strengthened 2nd gear etc. This isn't for the uncommitted as it was into 4 figures for the complete job..

I have just put the whole back in, after a DVA refresh on the engine, and ive only tested up and down the road at present but the difference was immediately noticeable. No more rattling at idle, no more leaks and the gear change is now like a bolt action rifle..Im one happy camper and would like to give a big thumbs up to Steve:)

cheers

Andy