Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Boring a 711 block to 85mm (1760 cc)

OliverSedlacek

Oliver,

i wanted to stretch my AX block to 1800, but it was faulty so I bought a 711M. Vulcan Engineering, who did the rebuild, weren't happy to go beyond 1700 (156bhp ).

I don't know if they are still around, but at the time they did my engine they were racing a lot of X Flows, so had some experience.

Terry

Sadly, repairing x/flows can be an expensive business. I had an AX block with 85.9mm pistons (1800cc) which were special order pistons made by Accralite for Roger King. When my engine blew up in 2010 Accralite wanted £110 + VAT per piston and as they were a special order required me to buy a minimum 12 units (I only needed one). That' s when I decided to go Zetec. Still miss the x/flow though.....

Hi Oliver. 

I heard via a bloke I work with that Ford had made a batch of new x flow blocks, to keep the Formula Ford racers sweet, don't have any more info, but you may be able to source something from the supplier's of those engines.  As you said, x flow stuff not cheap these days, but does have a character that the zetec doesn't. Good luck. 

Nigel. 

Yes, I believe the crossflow block is still made. Burtons still sell the block and bits and ISTR that Ford started making them again for Formula Ford, where many still prefer the old engine.

So despite its age(!) it is actually a current engine unlike the Vauxhall 2 litre, K series and Zetec (and is the Ford Duratec still made?)...

Tee hee. *clap*

Seriously, on the subject of engines, do Caterham use Mazda or Ford 2 litre Duratec engines? Hopefully the former.

Andy

No, don't have a Duratec. Think they're great engines and very well suited to the Caterham though. I understood the Mazda units have a steel crank and rods as standard, whereas the Ford ones don't. Hence the preferred option for engine tuners was my understanding. I wondered, as Caterham now use the Mazda gearbox so buying both units from Mazda would seem to make sense. Ford is probably the stronger brand and not even sure the Mazda's are branded as such but anyone have actual experience of both units? A quick online check suggests Mazda designed the engine initially but as Mazda is/was part of Ford, not sure how relevant that is either.

I'm still with the ol' crossflow. Love it to bits, not least because these days it's kinda out of fashion but still works.

Andy

The Mazda blown 2.3 had steel internals but ASAIK the rest are normal.

The Ford OE crank is good for 8500rpm and used in the 620R, thinking about it the 620R may well use stock rods and pistons as this 'kit' was originally design to upgrade R300 cars to the race series that never was.

Nt sure how the Mazda steel bits compare to the likes of Farndon, Arrow, Cosworth and Carrillo though in terms of weight nas performance.

I used a 711M block as the basis of a 1700 Twin Cam back in the 80's. Bored to 85mm with Hepolite pistons (into which I cautiously machined valve clearance recesses).  I recall that the Ford blocks had a casting suffix which gave an indication of the casting thickness, the thicker wall being the safer one to use (can't remember details, may be Googleable ~ results suggest this was an urban myth).