Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to spend a lot of money on a 120bhp K series engine

CharlesElliott

Spoke to the engine builder today (approved engine builder for our race series). My engine had suffered from oil loss, but upon stripping it down there wasn't really any oil damage....however, it did need:

- two new (forged and machined) pistons due to gudgeon pin migration; one piston was no longer held by the gudgeon pin on both sides. one new rod due to the above, weighted to the other four.

- two replacement liners due to the above. One had a step in it and one had a big score in it from the flappy piston.

- replacement crank due to the flappy piston wearing it.

- replacement camshaft due to crack in existing camshaft. new timing sprocket as existing one was loose on cracked camshaft.

- replacement clutch plate

and then all the other 'standard' things during a rebuild; new rings, new big end bearings, big end bolts, inlet and exhaust valves etc.

120bhp here I come!

Charles

• Area Representative

There was a £5k rebuild invoice in the file of one of my previous cars for a 120 BHP K series engine. It was carried out by Minister and a belting engine

Good grief! Minister only charged me £6,500 for a new R500 engine! That was in my car for 7 years and  7,500 circuit miles before I removed it, just because I thought I was playing with fire going so far beyond the 3,000 mile recommended rebuild time. The engine was just fine as far as I could tell. One day i will strip it and see what the innards look like.

Rods were only available from the factory as assemblies with stock pistons already fitted, so it would be necessary to remove the old pistons before fitting the forged ones. It is this removal that compromises the interference fit. Once the interference fit has been used it can't safely be reused. It's highly likely that the original rods were reused.

Oily

The PTFE plugs described by the esteemed Mr Vizard are an alternative to circlips, and not a 'belt and braces' solution if your interference fit is no longer tight enough for the job. I think they were popular with engine builders across the pond, where they do things a bit differently. They would save on having to machine a circlip groove into the piston if you were going from interference fit to fully floating.

You can buy an engine on eBay for £250 or whatever, but you still have to change the sump and ancillaries, still need to put in forged pistons (say £1000), so it's expensive to get a race engine in the first place - even if it is only a 1.6.

Of course, following the spirit of race budgeting I have no idea how much it will cost and haven't asked - you only find that out once you have had all the work done and are committed. Exactly the same with my chassis; only asked Bruce to price it up when he rang to told me it was ready to collect *byebye*

• 5 months later...

Hi Charles

My car suddenly started to use half a litre of oil after each 20 min session this weekend and after speaking with one of the approved engine builders and doing a search on here he suggested the same issue as you have described above :( 

I didn't discuss costs on the phone and the car hasn't yet gone in for a proper diagnosis however it would be really useful to gain feedback on your experience.

Overall are you happy with the work and could you provide an indication of ball park figures for the work you had done....basically just looking to calculate when I can afford to race again......

Steve