Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen Wanted

Ralph

Just on the off chance 
Has anybody got a Windscreen (no preference to finish).

Preferably in the Berks and Bucks area due to Logistics etc. 

Thought someone may be fitting an aeroscreen and may not need the windscreen. Mine looks like a shotgun has blasted it.

Also Caterham website says no stock.

Ralph

If it helps..

I recently had to replace the windscreen glass in my R400D SV.    Taking the frame apart was very easy and I made a plywood template of the existing glass.   
Took it to a glass maker and they made 2 windscreens for me at £35 + vat each.   Its not the heated type but a bottle of isopropanyl alcolohol (to stop it misting) is only a few quid or so and I just clean the inside of the screen with it from time to time.
A little bit cheaper than the £570 or so on CC site for the whole assembly.

Has anyone found a source of heated glass to fit?

I wouldn't expect isopropyl alcohol to stop misting. It's a useful degreaser and cleaner but it evaporates quickly.

Could I persuade you to do half of of it (in stripes?) and photograph the effect?

Jonathan

PS: There are several approaches to antimist treatment: The one most of us use leaves a thin layer of lipid. Potatoes are also available.

• Area Representative

I had a chat to the chaps from Pilkington Classic at a show last year and from memory I think they quoted about £200 for replacement heated glass, maybe we should see if a Bulk Buy would make a difference?

I'd be interested in a bulk buy heated screen.

Also, didn't someone mention they'd got a screen cut from a flat Land Rover glass in Ipswich? (seem to recall) ...and that it was cut so it had safety marks on it. I 'think' it's an MOT requirement, but I've seen the kite mark stickers for sake on EBay that would fool any but the most pedantic or observant examiner.... I know it wasn't heated though.

Obviously as per above I would be interested in the bulk buy idea.

I called Redline to see if they could get me a new one but apparently you have to go to Caterham for windscreens.

Also I will make enquiries at work re supplier for a bulk buy.

Ralph

Been proding the guys at work and they came uo with UROGLAS

Looks like they do heated screens, from a logistics point of view they are in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire,

I have e-mailed enquiring about cost / procedurefor the cost of 1 plus a bulk buy cost.

Will give an update when I get an answer, At the end of the day if I can get one for under £500 I would be Happy*wobble*

Ralph

Andy, I thought you'd be intersted in a bulk buy of denture cleaner *biglaugh*

I've had a reply from the supplier and the details are:

S3 Standard size is what we deal with mostly and are the ones we price at £190 + VAT per unit.

The SV size is something we can also do, we don’t do many of them and I would just get you to confirm dimensions before putting anything into production and they would be pretty much the same price give or take a few pounds.

The prices are glass only in tinted heated but not with the frames.

Happy to look at costs for a bigger order. Quantities usually 10 off one type but we can look at 5 of each if needed.

So, given the prices, is it worth doing a bulk buy??

Hi Ian

£190 + Vat sounds good even without a bulk buy.

Have you suppliers details .

Also like  Jonathan Kay I would like to know how hard it is to take the windscreen apart and put back together.

This information would be good before I splash the cash.

• Area Representative

Very easy to remove and replace the glass.  There are a couple of screws that hold the bottom channel to the top U shape.  With the bottom piece removed, the main frame simply pulls off the screen with its rubber surround.  There are some wooden dowels dotted around the channel but these drop in and are left free to slide around as they act as spacers.

Re-fitting is a the reverse.