Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear calipers not releasing

OliverSedlacek

Have you just changed pads ? If so .... did you release handbrake and slacken adjuster on cable , then wind pistons back in using windback tool. Before applying handbrake once all reassembled, push brake pedal hard to operate self-adjusters inside pistons. Then adjust handbrake cable.

For the self-adjustment, is applying the handbrake first an important step in this process?  I have quite a lot of free pedal travel as the rears take up slack.  Makes me think the adjustment isn't working as it should.

Sorry to hijack the thread, feel free to PM me with replies.

Actually, just re-read that and it seems you're suggesting not to apply the hand-brake before operating the pedal for adjustment.

Martyn .... applying the handbrake messes the self-adjuster operation a treat. Pressing the brake pedal hard a few times forces adjuster to take up free travel. When subsequently adjusting handbrake cable, ensure handbrake levers on calipers return to bottom stops when released.

Thanks SM25T, I assumed the self-adjustment was a continuous ongoing thing as the pads wear and therefore the handbrake shouldn’t affect it too much.  But I guess you mean the first adjustment after a big wind back.

Oliver, the single piston slider type calliper is a fairly crude design and there will always be some residual drag on the disc.  Even with everything working correctly it takes a fair bit of force to turn by hand - especially if you don’t have the wheels fitted and right after you've been pressing the brake pedal.  Could this be what you're experiencing, or are they properly stuck on.

Thanks for the link Ivaan. It starting to look like "They all do that Sir" to a greater or lesser extent. The fact that the spring washers are weaker is interesting.

Mine ease of after a little while, so my current plan is to drive the car gently for a bit to get the pads and disks bedded in. I'm hoping that will sort it, but if not I guess the calipers will need to come apart.