Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham supersport build.

Douglas Thomson

Hi,

I am enjoying the first stages of the build.

I am unable to tighten the upper spring damper bolts (M8 caphead) to the exact 20 nm value required because I can't get the standard Halfords torque wrench near.

I have tightened the bolts to what feels like the right torque using an alan key comparing with the easily accessible lower bolts.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Douglas

Agreed, I'm a week or two ahead of you on a 420R build, haven't found anything yet that isn't reachable with a combination of extension/wobble bars, crows feet wrenches, socket UJs and ball ended allen key driver.  I have to say i've also found a low range torque wrench useful, lots of fixings between 10 and 20 nm which are difficult to do accurately with a big range torque wrench. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

Welcome to Blatchat,

There will be loads of advice for you, some will depend on the particular questions you ask as you go along.

Whilst you are waiting it's a good idea to download the build manual from the CC website and go through that several times to familiarise yourself with the layout and order of things.

The other big thing is man cave preparation, perfect excuse to sort out the garage and buy those tools you always wanted ( the build manual will give you a good idea of the minimum requirement).

The waiting will drive you mad! Plan all this stuff over 6 months to keep you occupied :-))

The point about changing the angle on torque wrenches has been made.

If you're new to this (as I was) it's important to get some sense of feel for the different forces as well as using a torque wrench. I don't think most assemblers buy a low-range torque wrench, but if you do there's a recent discussion.

Have you found the Club discounts at Halfords and others?

I treated myself to all the tools I needed, with the exception of the engine hoist and the wrench and big socket for the rear hubs. There are some very generous Members out there...

Apparently (!) it's also a good idea to buy a multimeter and get familiar with it. IMHO people waste a lot of time trying to fix electrical problems without one. Draper 60792 at Amazon.

Jonathan

I'm finishing off my 420r build now, my best advice would be to scrutinise as many recent build blogs as you can find e.g. Andrew Bissell, Daniel French, Caterham Capers, LawrenceR - these will tend to pick out most of the unexpected challenges that aren't mentioned in the manual.

I got the Caterham Draper toolkit which is good if a little expensive - also try to predict all the other little bits and pieces you might need in advance - far too many to list here but things like a supply of spare bolts, nuts and washers, plastic tubing and funnels for fluids, heat shrink, paint pen for marking bolts etc etc etc.