Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Tank - Live Axle Carb version

Ivaan

I found the source of my problems at Oulton Park on Tuesday.

The fuel outlet pipe from the tank is blocked.

I cleared it temporarily by blowing air back through it using a tyre pump, but although it ran okay on the drive, within half a mile of the house, the car was spluttering again. Managed to get home ( thanks for the push Keith ), but now I've got to clean out the tank.

I assume to get the tank out, I'll have to remove the rollover bar, and remove through the top of the boot?

Once out, what's the best way to flush through?

The outlet pipe is on the LH rear, top of the tank, and can't bee seen through the sender unit opening on the top of the tank.

Thanks for any advice.

Clive

• Area Representative

I assume to get the tank out, I'll have to remove the rollover bar, and remove through the top of the boot?

Yes, that's how I did mine (LA, carbs).  The trickiest part was removing the boot floor! *biggrin*

Update.

I used a 5ltr can of petrol as a sustitute tank, with a temporary pick up pipe to the pump. Plenty of fuel pumping to the carbs feed.

I managed to see inside the tank, with the help of a camera. It all looked clean, no silt, and I could easily see the thick wire I'd pushed through the oulet pipe.

I've then checked the pipework between the tank and the pump. Blew and clean them through.Two small snots of silicone stuck in the pipe between the tank and the filter.

Once back together, I fed the carb feed into a jerry can, and let it pump a couple of gallons through the system.

I've been out on an 80 mile run this morning with no issues, so hopefully the problem won't return. At least if it does, I can cure it on the roadside in a few minutes.

Trackday lost because of a pea sized lump of silicon...arghhh