Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Moving handbrake from under the dash.

simonpa

Hi - has anyone done this?

I have a Y2000 S3, with the 'race' chassis and the handbrake under the dash.

I much prefer the handbrake i the tunnel - mainly because you can reach it with harnesses on.

Any ide how much Arch charge to do this?
Also, can it be done without taking the gearbox/prop out?

Cheers - Simon

Live axle or DeDion?  If it's a live axle, you're probably out of luck because the prop shaft needs lots of space to move up and down with the suspension travel. Assuming you're still on board, you need hard points inside the tunnel for the handbrake to mount to. This will certainly need the propshaft removed, and I'd suggest also that it's an 'engine out' job.

I fitted an MG Midget handbrake to the passenger side of the tunnel. Just needed a small sheet of alloy the same pattern as the brake mount on the inside of the tunnel to reinforce it. It's been there since the early 80's and works well (cribbed from Robbie Philpott who used to autotest his Seven very succesfully).

David beat me to it, I have done the same on two previous Sevens, one a live axle and the other DD, both of which I used for autotesting back in the day.  For the first one I used a Morgan flyoff, which was great but it was heavy as hell, and the second, like David, I used an MG Midget, and taped the button down.

They fit on the passenger side, just in front of the gearlever, and bolt onto chassis members, both longitudenal and the cross mount, the cable is then shortened to fit, works a treat.  The point is, it doesn't have to be fitted on top of the tunnel, where it can get in the way of your elbow and is harder to get at for that bit of tailout action.