Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Banner battery has leaked...

robert green

My battery has leaked. I need to clean up the mess and assume a mixture of bicarbonate of soda and water is best. Is that correct? 

Also, why might this have happened? It is a 3 month old battery and seems to not have leaked via the cell caps. The levels look fine. Perhaps 2 cells are a little low but could it be that it was supplied over filled? How could I test the battery to ensure it doesn't do it again. Battery performance excellent. 

Does it have a drain tube fitted with screenwash type tube taking excess down under the car ? If not ... it should have. Water and bicarb fine. Suggest you remove battery to clean under it too. Check all cell liquid levels. Top up with distilled water and charge afterwards. May be overcharging if it vomited ..... check voltage across battery with engine running.

I need to clean up the mess and assume a mixture of bicarbonate of soda and water is best. Is that correct?

I recommend just water, but lots of it. If there's any crud remove it with anything up to the hardness of a soft toothbrush. And look for traps, seams etc and give them a good flooding.

What sort of voltage should I see across the battery with the engine running? 14.5 v?

Usually quoted as 14.4V, but yes. (De minimis non curant specs.)

Have you used an external charger?

Jonathan

That is high, but not very high. Most common cause of is regulator failure. And overcharging could have caused the original problem. 

I think I'd probably get it to somewhere they can test and repair them. What make (although most repair places can do most makes) and where are you?

Jonathan

Another thumbs up for Tayna, I bought the vent tube from them with the latest Banner. Reading this thread made me look at my battery after yesterday's trip to Poole and back, no sign of any leakage though or anything having gone out through the vent tube.

JK, AFAIK  a gel battery has glassfibre between the plates rather than paper, the paper will detoriate faster than glassfibre. The position of the battery in a 7 is at the back where it's a lot hotter than on the front or behind the firewall as in a tintop and there is more vibration on the chassis than a tintop that accelerate the breakdown of the paper isolation causing a cell to short.

Hi Robert.

I had a leaking battery on mine not long after the build.  I had the overflow tube fitted but there was no sign of moisture in there.  The battery tray was covered in the white/green powdery gunk that I managed to clean off with water and bicarb.  Reason for the post is that it was the seam on the battery that failed on mine.  Double check yours for any sign of failure.

Andy