Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing Windscreen Scratches

virden

During a recent deluge one of my wipers blades became partially detached from the end of its arm and has left an arc inscribed on the windscreen, I think it is a combination of black paint and actual surface scoring of the glass.  I have failed  to remove the mark with a proprietary glass cleaner, so any suggestions please.  I think it will be a potential MOT failure if I leave as is.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that scratch removal tends to be the only option on some classic cars where replacement glass is not available.  Also, although the size of the damage on your car will no doubt be larger, I made a mess of a watch face whilst doing some DIY.  A local watch smith told me not to bother with a new glass, and pointed me in the direction of a company that supplies "scratch removal kits".  These appear to be made up of various grades of wet and dry paper and a polishing paste.

I had some limited success with scratch removal kits. The problem is that if the scratch is more than barely visible the process will leave an anomaly in the glass. The scratch may be gone but there might be slight distortion where the scratch has been buffed out.  In my case it worked well on a glass bifoldimg door which had been scratched with a scotchbrite pad but when it came to the more serious scratches on the caterham's windscreen I went down the windscreen replacement route with my insurers, £60 later I had a new screen.