Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheels

lotusandy

Recently ordered a road sport, bog standard, but I am now thinking I would prefer it with the 16" HPC style wheels, which I can obtain second hand. If I go this route do I need to specify to Caterham that I will be fiting 16" wheels? What parts are different?

I know that the handling of the 16" is inferior to 13", but I just really like the look of the 16"

Cheers Andy

If the overall tyre/wheel combination diameter is different, I guess you will also have to change/adjust the speedo sensor so it still reads correctly. I'm new to 7's so I don't know where or how the speedo sensor functions yet.

rgds

Chris

Andy,

I wouldn't worry too much about the speedo as the Caterham ones are pretty inaccurate anyway. However if you have cycly wings, Caterham offer 2 sizes to suit wheel size. These are 13/14 inch wheels or 15/16 inch wheels. Of course if you have the larger you could fit 13 inch wheels but they may look a little odd!!

Robin

• Leadership Team

Andy, you have mail.

I set up my 13" front stays and cycle wings to fit both sizes of wheel - but they need to be positioned with the HPC wheels in place not the 13". The small wings are just wide enough to cover the big wheels, and look better with the large wheels than the big wings look with small wheels, especially on brighter coloured cars.

As far as the speedo is concerned, it reads closer with the HPCs, but is still way too high. Better to fit a Sigma BC1200 cycle computer in addition to the speedo - good for 183 mph, and can be set up for 2 different wheel sizes. If sorted correctly, accurate to within 0.1mph - we checked mine using a GPS! *cool*

Stu.

• Area Representative

The speedo accuracy was spot on at my SVA last March with the standard 14" wheels and 186/60's.

However, the speedo can be calibrated with a set of dip switches in the back of the speedo, to suit different wheel and tyre options.