Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tyre pressures

Chris W

My new SV is shod with Avon ZZ1 205/45's on 16" wheels. It was delivered with pressures of 22psi but the handbook states they should be 16psi for that size. I queried this with CC and they said that 22psi is better if one is going to use it mainly on the road. However, the guy hesitated before answering so I wasn't sure if he just wanted to give me a quick answer. Any views appreciated.

thanks

Chris

😬 my face since the SV was delivered yesterday

I mucked around with the pressures on the Avons on my SV and eventually settled on around 19psi for road use and 16psi for track days but I guess it is a bit subjective and alot may depend on your driving style/road conditions and hence how much heat you get into the tyres. Maybe start with those and then experiment a bit to find what suits you.

regards

fc

Although I have not seriously tried the ZZ1 I have quite a bit of experience with the ZV1, which may help. Most tyres on seven use a recomended pressures of between 16-22 psi due to the cars low weight, so the normal advice on here seems to be experiment and see, within this window.

With the ZV 1 at 16-20 psi I experienced a peculier diagonal pitching motion in high speed corners. Visual observation showed this to be the rear tires trying to flex themselves off of the rims. I suspect this was mainly related to them having thin walls. When we changed the pressures to 22 psi this motion disappeared and the car cornered correctly. I have only ever had this problems with the Avons. On all the other tyres I have used, Goodyear,Toyo,Bridgestone,Yoko and Falken I found that 16-20 PSI was about right.

I run approx 17 - 18 psi on the road and about 22 on the track which seems to work well for me. Track tyres are P Zero's.

ZZ1's fell to bits after 6000 mile (road only use) so were replaced by Avon. Now fitted with ZZ3's which are much much better IME on the road and are good on a WET track.

Have had the 'benefit' of running 16" wheels for nearly four years now, and apart from making the point that Avon ZZ-1s are the worst 205/45x16 tyres I have ever used on the car, I would say that I run my tyres at 15/16 psi and have been tempted to try 14psi.

The handbook recommendation is 16 psi and I cannot believe that anyone is running this size tyre at 22 psi on a car as light as a 7!

The tyres wear the centres out at 16 psi!

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport

Edited by - l7svn on 30 Jan 2003 16:10:49

Jerry,

I agree the ZZ1 is not great, but I disagree with you on the psi question. Each person has apreference to their car setup. My tyres wear evenly.

You should try checking your tyre pressures when you return to the paddock after a 20 min session. You will be surprised.

The increase for me when running at 16 psi cold was upto 26 psi hot.

A change in psi cold to 22 psi results in a hot running psi of 24. result - more consitant hadling for me 😬

I have some big wheels too and with crappy Michelin Pilot SX GT things on they are actually very very good if run at 16psi.

The thing that really makes the diference IMHO is Tracking. 20 mins in and they are great, 30 mins out and I want to burn the whole car after drilling it with an Uzi for being so hateful

Steve

See My Zetec Power 7 Here

Edited by - STEVE GILBERT on 31 Jan 2003 21:41:46

Don't junk the Pilots too quick Steve, they are better than the ZZ-1s!

(Done 10,000 on each)

Just wish I could wear the Avons out and get something else.

The basic problem is that any tyre in this size is specified for big, heavy, cars and the compound is too hard ,the sidewall too stiff.

I am hoping to wear out all four tyres at the same time so that the cost of changing to 13" wheels and 185/70 or /60 wheels is same as just getting new tyres in 205/45x16.

One other, rarely mentioned, possibility is to fit Yokohama A032 in 205/50x16. Unfortunately raising the gearing slightly but giving a softer tyre compound which is more likely to heat up and grip better.

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport

Just bought from Polleys: -

4 0ff 6" x 13" KN Minators plus 4 off 185/70 x 13 Yoko AO21R's - fitted, balanced, centre caps & wheel nuts - all delivered to my door in 6 days for £448.50 all inc.

This equates to - £89 per corner plus vat plus delivery (or £112.125 each all inc)

Fitted them last Friday and cannot fault Polleys or the wheels and tyres.

Dan J

(Chuffed!)

Edited by - dan j on 3 Feb 2003 10:41:22