Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lowering the front mudguards

thompster

From the photo it would seem you need shorter wing stays i.e. the bit that the cycle win attaches too as they look too high.

I have CR500 on 15" rims and my cycle wins slightly overlap the top of the tyre so a very snug fit.  The stays on mine have an approx radius of 12.5"

Thanks smiffy. I've just measured the horizontal radius and get around 12" so guess mine are also for 15" wheels.

The caterhamparts site lists four different wing stays : 'Race', 'Race Type', 13/14 and 15/16.  No idea how the race ones differ but guess I need the 13/14s.  At 60 quid a corner I'll keep my eye on the for sale section...

You could always cut and shut them. But I did what you are doing and bought some used lowered "race" stays from another club member. They look much better and I can still cram 185/70R13s under them for wet use.

Hi mate,

It would be much simpler if CC said what the difference between the different stays was.. I've just been googling but haven't found much.  Safest I guess is the standard 13/14s unless I can find the spec for either of the race ones listed anywhere.  As far as I know my car has only ever had the original academy 13" 70 profile tyres and now the 55 profile ones so not sure why it would the wingstays would be so far out.

So 'Race' then, not 13/14s.. caterhamparts lists both 76101/76102 and 76101R/76102R as race stays - no clues as to what, if any, difference there is though.

I have to say the idea of just shortening them is getting more appealing given I know a couple of vaguely competent welders.

Having just had a long chat with Tony at CC the stays you want are the race stays number - 76101 & 76102 these are lower than the standard 13"-14" items.

There is another possible (used on C400 cars) of number 76101R & 76102R these, however, don't have the hole for the electrics to feed through if you have repeaters. 

I've just orderd a set of the 76101 type (plenty in stock).

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine from CC and I'm glad I did, the ones on eBay were standard 13"-14" you need the "race" variant but avoid the race version with R at the end of the part number - the stay is the same but it doesn't have the hole for repeater wiring. 

PART NUMBER - 76102 (right hand) and 76101(left hand)