Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SPA Formula mirrors from Caterham

Ngmatthewsme.com

I have just fitted an aeroscreen and the SPA Formula mirrors that came with it.

I fitted them to the bodywork as I had two predrilled holes from the previous owner but are they always such a PITA to get them set?

The fitting in the base to tighten the lower ball joint looks like an allen key but nothing fits it and so we could only tighten with a flat screw driver.

Within a few miles the pesky things just vibrate loose and we have to remove and retighten!

There are no instructions with them so, before resorting to something akin to superglue, is there something I am missing?

I can't be the only one with this problem surely?

Cheers

Nick

It is an imperial size ..... and a real pain to be able to hold the base flange tight enough to exert enough torque on the allen key AND hold the mirror arm in place. This contributed to me replacing mine with the nice fixed arm ball-swivel head convex mirrors from Car Builder Solutions.

Thanks but as previous owner had left two rivet filled holes on the corners of the scuttle I've mounted the mirrors there.

It seems that I have to be a lot more brutal with the allen key (as advised by SPA and Caterham *hehe*)

I might add a drop or two of loctite for good measure.

It seems that the ball inside the mount isn't perfectly spherical.  This means that where you get it nice and tight, only a small nudge to another position will render it completely loose.  I have to be really careful with mine.  No matter how tight I make them, it only takes a little tap as I walk past for them to be swinging completely free as if I hadn’t torqued them up at all.