Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo Fault Help (Northern Spain)

Defender08

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents, anybody tried to reset the trip on. 2005 K-Series R300 really quickly after turning  on the ignition? Then get a lot of numbers you don't recognise, so you carry on blindly pushing the button and even more numbers come up!!

I did that yesterday morning, just outside Zaragoza and according to the Speedo and trip we didn't go above 20mph and covered 22 miles to Pamploma. The Satnav said 146 miles and it took just over three and a half hours!

Same scenario today to Bilbao, any constructive solutions would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Richard L 

Yes, it does sound as though you've been overwriting the calibration code.  Assuming your speedo is the programmable type with a 6-digit code, this table lists the codes ("Input Pulses") for the various tyres and wheel sizes. 

To enter a code, turn on the ignition (don't crank the engine) and within 3 seconds press the rubber button.  A 6-digit number appears, with the first digit flashing.  Press the button to increase the value of this digit (one press per increment).  When it's correct, wait until the next digit starts to flash, and repeat until you've entered the full code.

JV

Many thanks John, I'll try and reprogram the speedo when we get back to Blighty tomorrow. The car is running 13 inch wheels with CR500's (stock), so all is well.

Cheers Richard.

PS: apart from the k click when warm, but I've learnt to live with that!

Afternoon, Graham, sat in the The Frocester George at Stonehouse in Gloucester again, had lunch but after an hour the K-Klick is still with us. So we've had to go inside for a coffee. It has given me time to send this though!

Would be interested to know what the solution is? I did find on the internet that it could be solved by replacing the multi relay with two single ones (needed three in the end) but that clearly hasn't sorted the issue.

A penny for your thoughts!

Kind Regards

Richard (West Yorkshire) temporarily Gloucester 

A duff starter relay isn't the only cause*... but what did you do to yours?

If you have replaced the relay I'd start (!) with disconnecting, inspecting, cleaning and reconnecting all the relevant leads. Then I'd measure the voltage across the battery at rest, while trying to crank and at 3,000 rpm.

Jonathan

* And neither is anything else.

Make a flying lead with a female spade terminal one end. Disconnect small cable from solenoid and tape up. Connect new cable to small terminal on solenoid. Turn ignition on to second position after disarming immobiliser. Check in neutral. Touch cable on battery + (red) terminal and hold to energise starter. If it sparks, spins and fires ... go home, then sort out cables and relay. If it doesn't crank, then big cables to starter are sick, or solenoid jammed, or starter faulty. Take it off for overhaul.

• 2 weeks later...