Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Main beam toggle switch

AndyD

Hoping the POBC can help sort a wiring issue for me...

I recently had a fan override switch fitted next to the main beam / dipped beam toggle switch. Since that work was done, when I turn the headlights on I get full beam that the main beam toggle switch won't properly control.

I suspect that the person who fitted my new fan override switch disconnected the main beam toggle switch wires and has refitted them in the wrong order.

Can anyone confirm if the layout in the picture is correct for the main beam? For reference, the switch should be in the OFF position in my picture.

Thanks!

toggle_switch.jpg.9a56e47cfc9193f4edfbd30663317191.jpg

You've lost me. Are you saying the switch works the opposite way round? If so, reverse connections or turn the switch upside down, or is the live in the wrong place? Pull all connectors off, turn lights on and see which cable has 12v to it. Should be the centre one.

Oz....

Hi Oz,

Sadly it's not as simple as upside down and the behaviour is a little complicated to describe (and I didn't have the time to try). I'll have a go at switching wires over the weekend but didn't want to randomly move wires around for fear of causing damage.

Cheers,

Andy

Think I'm right that Blue/ Red goes to the middle, Blue/ White is main beam on so to one end of the switch, can't recall the other colour and your' pic's a bit too dark to see but that goes to the remaining end terminal. As long as blue/ red is in the centre the others don't matter

You'll not damage anything if you get them the wrong way round, I cna check mine tomorrow if you're still struggling

Thanks for the replies.

Having removed all wires from the toggle switch in question, I find that full beam still comes on with the side lights and dipped beam. So, the wiring gremlin lies elsewhere and will be rectified by the company who built my new engine and fitted the fan override switch as I'm not about to start chasing it any further than that!

Thanks all.