Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel nuts

green george

I was checking the car over this afternoon in prepartion for a track day on 18th May.

I found that two of the wheel nuts on the n/s/r wheel had stripped their threads and were loose!  I subsequently found a third on the o/s/r wheel which had also stripped it's thread!  Pays to check these things!

However, I now need new wheel nuts to replace the damaged ones and will change all 16 for safety sake.

Can anyone help me with what spec nuts I need please?

I have a 1999 1.6 K Series Superlight with an imperial chassis and 13" 6j Athracites all round. 

The current wheel nuts are a 19mm hex and on the end of each nut it reads 12 and 1.5 which I take means the internal thread is M12x1.5mm(?)

Naturally having had a look at Caterham Parts I am now confused as the nut I have appears similar to what they describe as "Wheelnut - Bulged Type - Ital Steel Wheels" (SKU77352B) http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1325

The one I would have thought would be suitable does not have the same cone seat as my existing nuts described as "Wheelnut - Stainless Steel - Metric) (SKU30W008A) http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1346 .   

Update (Thanks to Grubbster):  The stainless steel wheel nut fits with "Wheelnut Washer - Stainless Steel - Metric" (SKU30W009A) http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1347 - However Caterham is out of stock....

Do you know of an alternative source? I need a set by next weekend...

I like the idea of stainless steel as it is obviously much stronger than aluminum.  Having looked on Ebay M19 M12x15 60 degree wheel nuts are very common but I am not sure is they are strong enough. 

Will try Caterham in the morning... 

I have a full set spare of the stainless nuts and washers, they are used but all perfectly serviceable, and I am going to that track day on the 18th, assuming it's a Bedford ;-).   I could send them to you, or if you are on a trailer just wait until the day. 

Chris

I think the stud length is fine.  It was when I went to check the torque I found two of the nuts were apparently loose.  Upon closer examination I found that the threads of these nuts had stripped; and therefore would not engage the stud.

I'd try to check the stud thread for distortion before relying on new nuts. Access might be difficult but if you can get close enough with an eyeglass, look for the thread profile being 'skewed' towards the stud end.

Steve

• Area Representative

Green George,

You said "I like the idea of stainless steel as it is obviously much stronger than aluminum".

Are your existing wheel nuts Aluminum?

If so, It's less of a surprise that the threads have stripped, and there is much less likelihood that the studs have sustained any damage.

Aluminum nuts may be light, but they're certainly not durable, and would need to be treated with the utmost care. I really don't think the risk of failure outweighs the weight saving.

It's a good thing that you checked the wheel fixings with some time to spare to correct the issues. It's not much fun having a wheel detach itself at speed; I had a stub axle snap in a straight line at nearly 100mph. Not cool.

I think I've got a bunch of spare 32-mm-long studs knocking around somewhere if some of yours have been shredded. Have you spoken to whoever may be responsible for this quite dangerous problem? I can imagine an impact gun banging up the wheel nuts rather than doing them up mostly by hand.

Hi Richard in answer to your question the original nuts appare to be chromed steel. 

Hi Steve K, I have examined the threads on the studs and they appeared fine and the new (to me) stainless nus fitted perfectedly.  All torqued up to 58 lbft.  

Hi Mankee thanks for the offer of new studs but I will take a raincheck as the original ones appear to be fine.

I have thought about contacting the garage but really cannot see the point as I cannot prove that it was like that when it left the garage; I suspect that all it would do would create a break down in trust.  The garage in question is very experienced and I am aware that they used another company to do some work, so who is to say it didn't happen there.  The crux is, I suspect the work wasn't quailty assured.  I will prbably just take my car elsewhere in future.