Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry Sump Bellhouse plate stud problem

PhilKing

I was hoping someone can advise, I having recently bought my SLR, just getting it properly ready for the Summer and wanted to change the engine oil. Started to remove the bell housing plate and found one of the allen studs has been rounded so the allen key just turns inside. The others have been removed and I have been trying to ease the stud out, but no luck yet.

I have found I can tap the plate and move it, left and right, my question really is, am I going to damage anything in the bellhousing with moving the plate to ease the stud. Having not done this before not sure what is behind the plate. Can anyone advise if this is an issue to move the plate and hopefully release the stud, or ideas on how to remove the stud without damaging anything.

Thanks very much

Phil

I'd be trying mole grips attached tight to the bolt. They are only very small so shouldnt be too tight. I think the blue plate is a shocking piece of engineering and I can't believe CC didn't design in a drain plug. Years ago a small outfit called Hellier made a plate with a threaded boss for a sump nut and drain hole which I have, and consequently havnt needed to mess around with the plate for years. If you have a look around you may find something similar. 

Thanks for the ideas, agree totally on the engineering for the plate, cannot undertsand why no drain plug but will see if i can find the Hellier solution, seems like an ideal solution.

If I cannot get the nut out will revert to the vacuum pump, just like the idea of actually being able to drain.

Thanks

Phil