Click here if you are having website access problems ×

track hats - who do I check with?

Jaseb

One's crash helmet has an E3 marking which apparently is a Euro copy of the BS kitemark?! Or so they said in Carnells.

Does anyone know where or who I can ask to find out if it is definitively okay or otherwise for track use with the club else I need to start saving my pennies for a new one!

I suspect I should start saving now to be honest *confused*

Suggest you start with the information that Paul Davis put on the Club Track Day section of Blatchat. As you will see, the Club had to negotiate with Octagon, who were dictating the standards, to get some other classifications of helmet included. If you don't fall into one of the named groups of stickers or markings, you'll need to spend some more dosh. 😳

I began a thread on this topic on 20th Dec which you might like to look at. The BS standard is available, but you will need to search the bike shops. Most bike shop owners will try to sell you the ACU Gold standard, which I understand is the top bike grade but which will probably not meet the required car standards. The other acceptable standard is the Snell 2000, but I failed to find anyone who stocked it.

With all the 7 racers out there, there must be someone who can provide first hand experience as to the what, where and how much of crash hats. Come on Guys!!

Good luck

Trying to get out of the garage

I have recently bought a helmet. The MSA site (google on MSA and helmet) lists all the current standards.

In a bike shop it is hard work to find one that is MSA compliant. Some of the more expensive makes will do the correct BS/Snell number as well as the ACU gold stamp. Demon Tweaks will sell compliant helments but you really need to buy a helmet in person.

Helmet fit varies between manufacturer and model. Likewise helmet compliance varies between manufacturer and model. It can be traumatic shopping...

Jase,

EC22-05 is accepted by Octagon (and most of the trackday organisers) for TRACKDAYS. It will not be suitable for sprinting, where the minimum spec for the club sprints, laid down by the MSA, is BSI 6658:1979 Type A.

The club's words on helmets for club track days:

Participants are required to wear appropriate protective clothing as follows:

Correctly fitting Full-face Crash Helmet minimum ACU Goldstamp specification with straps done up, or an open face Helmet to same standard with impact resistant goggles or visor.

Participants are strongly recommended to use: Crash Helmet meeting current BSI (BS 6658 – 85 Type A), UN ECE 22.05 or SNELL (SA 95 or 2000) specification.

Felix

• Support Team

Jason,

Pop over to Silvertsone - Grand Prix Racewear should have a reasonable range. I paid about £250 for a Bell with Snell SA2000 rating (good enough for Formula 1!). They do a range of helmets with either the BS or Snell ratings from about £60 upwards. I went to the Chiswick shop but I'm sure the Silverstone one should be fairly well stocked. The downside is that you have to pay VAT on the helmets (Bike helmets are zero rated) and they usually only come in white!!! If you (or Jane) are planning to sprint then you'll need an MSA compliant helmet which basically means the BS6658 or Snell SA2000 is required.

If you can persuade Jane to come to Penn instead of shopping, I'll bring the GPR catalogue.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If it's of any interest I have a Bell M3 helmet for sale. It's a full face kevlar composite shell, size 7 3/4, clear visor, Snell SA95 rated (nomex lining and chin strap), chin, forehead and top vents and has never been worn. UK price was just under £450 inc VAT; I'll sell it for £320. IT HAS NEVER BEEN WORN other than trying it on for size.

Felix, sounds promising, how big's 7 3/4, sounds a daft question but my experience of crash helmet sizing goes like small, medium, large, extra large etc I'm large apparently (at least that's what I tell the girls... Don't tell Jane though 😳)

Where abouts in Hants are you?