Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie help with Minilite Wheel Nuts and K series 1.8 HT Leads

jonheli

Hi All

My first posting since joining the club after selling my 911 and buying a 7!

I have a 1993 Supersport which has had a lot of mods including a 1.8 K series, 202 BHP and Emerald ECU. Wife and I have nicknamed it 'Cruella'.

I want to replace the HT Leads, but I'm guessing that the leads are not the standard ones? as they seem longer - they go down to a pack on the driver's side of the engine, and the distributor cap at end of cam cover is redundant (hope that makes sense - told you I was new!!)

I also want to replace the chromed wheel nuts, as the current ones are in poor condition, and have been painted with silver paint which is also flaking! The nuts have '10' engraved on them, and I have a photo if anyone needs to see it (can't work out how to upload it!!)Caterham website doesn't seem to list these?  thread diameter looks about 11 or 12mm.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

Thanks, Jon

You have a VVC head, so it is likely that you'll need a set of EU2 VVC leads, especially if the coil pack is bolted to the back of the engine, as per a "normal" EU2 VVC engine. These are readily available. The plug boots are slightly longer than non-VVC leads as the cam carrier is taller.

Jon

As Mankee has already pointed out your head is a VVC which has a different cap on the spark plug end of the HT lead but 'standard' EU2 VVC leads might not be any use to you if the distributor isn't being used.  I can't tell from the picture but your original post mentions the distributor being redundant.

The standard HT lead setup is a single coil pack fitted to the block on the drivers side feeding the distributor which then feeds all 4 spark plugs.

If yours is different it could be that you have a twin coil pack running wasted spark so that the distributor isn't used and you would then need 4 completely non standard HT leads.

A close up picture of the existing leads and coil pack would shed more light on it.

Your wheel nuts will be 12 x 1.5mm, 60 Degree Taper, 19mm Hex Head (check the head dimension) and can be purchased from many sources. Rally Design and Demon Tweeks for starters and EBay usually has some.

Personally, I prefer the open ended nut design as you can be sure that the nut isn't bottoming on the stud. You also have a chance of noticing if one is coming loose ...

Hi Jon, the photo's are a great help.

That confirms a twin coil pack wasted spark set up and I'd follow Mankee's advice to see if you have the standard MG coil.

Assuming you have and it's positioned in the same place as the standard MG installation then the HT lead set in Mankee's link will work for you which saves the trouble and expense of having a set made up.

I'm undecided on the benefits of fatter "brand name" leads. They look nicer, may well provide a better spark (?) and might last longer, but is it worth the extra?

I had some custom leads made by Formula Power (https://www.formulapower.com/) when I converted an EU3 VVC head to run the original EU2 distributor and coil setup a few years ago. But I made/bodged my own leads from some cheapo £20 Lucas jobs to get the new engine running at the time, fully expecting them to fall apart after a few years of ~200bhp trackdaying. However, they are still going strong, so they aren't going anywhere for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you (and everyone else!) for all your help - have now managed to get a new set of wheel nuts, but have not had any replies from formula power to either my email or ebay messages to them, so I will spend my money elsewhere now I know what to look for!!

Just also wanted to add that this has got to be one of the most encouraging clubs for getting your hands dirty - others that we have belonged to never encouraged it  (I suppose most of their members had 'a chap who does that sort of thing for one' !!)

Thought I'd better put the record straight about Formula Power - Have now spoken to the owner, and he didn't respond to my emails due to a Family Illness. He is now currently making up my leads, and was a very pleasant and helpful guy, so now all my problems are solved! (....... well, for now, as I'm sure there will be more!!)

Thanks again to all, Jon & 'Cruella'