Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lost in Zetec / Xflow

Duckpit

Am Still thinking about zetec conversion for my Xflow. I am now trying to source parts.

Can anyone help with the exhaust ?

Can I still use my 1.5 inch collector and silencer ?

If so where can I source primary's ? 

If  not what do I do as I have been quoted 1200 for an exhaust system which is more than all other parts and engine put together.

Nick

In BHP terms (if mine is typical) no. My max BHP stayed about the same at just under 150 (244 cam, forged pistons, slightly larger valves and gasflowed head). But max torque may be higher and, more importabtly, you should get a smoother power delivery. I guess if I made other changes BHP would rise too.

There's a lot of bull around power. We tend to talk of say 200bhp but the reality is it's only that at x000 rpm. Less than that and the BHP is lower too. In practice on the road, you're rarely at max rpm but are often accelerating so power deliverrey and smoothnesss at each rpm stage is, I would argue, much more important than max BHP.

Again if my car is typical you should also get from switching to fuel injection:

- better mpg (35mpg when we went to Italy in 2013)

-  better starting

- still a great sound (even louder on the inlet side than with my old Dellortos) 

- still a simple engine to DIY work on (but setting the ECU up requires a good mapper, time and money).

The Zetec is a great engine, more modern in design and sounds great too. Not sure if it's still made so unsure of what the long term supply situation is for both engines. I'd argue too that heritage wise the Zetec is a great engine, the Xflow a classic engine.

Which is best? For me, I'm happy with the Xlow but I know others who have swithed and probably wouldn't swaitch back. In terms of lap speeds etc I think the Zetec will win,  but the XF won't be as far behind as you might erxpect. Finally, I would expect the Zetec would require more infrequent rebuilds and, when it comes to resale value, I think the Xflow has been undervalued in recent years but that could change as its classic status becomes more recognised.

Andy

• 3 months later...