Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Options

Moggie

Apparently the new Toyo R888R is well worth considering when it becomes available.

I'm going to buy another set of CR500's in the meantime to see me through this year and then look at either the new Toyo or ZZS next season.

I discussed the R888R with their technician when I was in Demon Tweeks a couple of weeks ago. It's supposed to work better from cold, and offer higher levels of grip than the R888. Tread pattern is quiet different. They didn't know exactly when they'd be available, nor in what sizes. Will be more expensive.

I like the R888's but I think I'll go for the R888R, if available, for my next set if the price is acceptable.

Just a side comment in regards to the ratings system. I think they've changed it the past year. I've always bought Eagle F1 Assy 2's for my Megane 250, and they're always been "A" rated for wet grip (they're a fantastic road tyre for a sporty hatch!), but I noticed the rating now gives them a "C".

So I wouldn't worry about the ratings too much. My CR500 got an absolute thrashing at a very hot Pembrey last year so I'll be looking for a new set soon. I might well go for the ZZS if I can get any. Otherwise, I'm still very happy with the CR500. They've been great in all conditions including very wet tours in North Wales and Scotland.

Having just put on my new set of CR500s I had to laugh at the utter b**ks on the sticky label from Avon which says , in efffect , these are speiclist motorsport tyres and we , Avon , are not responsible ever for anything that happens to you ever if the tyre is defective . What utter tosh -see you in court matey if your tyre just decides to self destruct when I am mid overtake .

• 2 weeks later...

Use CR500 and enjoy as long as possible!

The zzr/zzs are significantly heavier and give much reduced finesse to steering feel and ride quality. Not pleasant!!! I'm looking to change back to CR500 this summer.

We should campaign Avon to keep in production even if it requires a new certification test.

Peter.