Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how to remove heater?

glasgow

I have  a leak from the heater. It is a 2003 SV with the "7" Logo on the box. Looked at the archive and the possible two reasons are either the O-ring or the heater matrix.

I removed the two angled hoses and took the upper two screws off (white arrows on the pics) I tried to undo the lower two (red arrows) but they just keep turning without being disengaged. Any advice please?

Do I need to remove the 4 rivets on each side? are these plastic or metal rivets? Are they reusable? Should i just drill them out? 

Thank you

Ahmed

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/16244060819_322cd0c39a_n.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/16242908090_71e02d9ac6_n.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8568/16403705426_58ab0c4529_n.jpg

Hi Ahmed.

If you need to get the hearter matrix out (which I presume you do), you will need to remove the fasteners indicated by your Red arrows. If they are turning can you get to the underside of the heater unit to hold the nut? The plastic rivet type fasteners are re-usable, but if you happen to damage them, I have some that I can send you. Plenty in the archives about where to get a replacement matrix from.

Give our regards to Margaret.

Stuart

Thank you Stuart . Hope all is well with you and Sue....

I didn't have time to go to the seven today but have the afternoon off tomorrow so hopefully can do something.

How would you reach the nut? Looks like it is not going to be an easy task. When I had a look a couple of days ago I could not sort out how to reach it. Would I have a better access if I remove the plastic rivets first?

Hi Ahmed.

As Ian points out it is a relatively easy job to do. What is making yours more difficult is this bolt that will not come out. Too cold for me to spend much time in my garage looking at access to the offending fastener. Not sure that removing the plastic clips will help.

Good luck

Stuart

If you take the door off, you can reach both sides of any fastener on the bulkhead .... even on an SV.

So, my head will be resting on the clutch pedal, my bottom will be "very close" to the gear stick and my legs are on the side walls of the seven, right? *biggrin*

OK, task one completed, managed to remove the heater. After i took the plastic rivets off everything was loose. Didn't need to touch the metal fastener.... 

I removed the foam and It is not clear where the leak is from. Possibly the o-ring but not certain. will go to local supplier and try to locate it... Thank you for your help will post an update... *wavey*

Plate and spigots look ok so wither the O-ring or the matrix.

I noticed the new Orings are slightly "thicker". so may be the old ones are "flattened" and allowed the leak to happen. I only have a 4bhp blower which I think it is too strong for a pressure test, so I did the "Blow Job" and it appears to be no leak

• 1 month later...

Hi Ahmed,

i have exactly the same job to do as you, and would appreciate a little clarity. I have the same probelm as you. I can remove the white arrow screws, but not the red arrow ones. Is it just the white arrows and then prizing off each of the plastic rivets? 

Thanks
Marcus

No need to remove any of the screws. All what is needed is to remove the 8 plastic rivettes.

Interestingly, I needed to do the same task again this morning as there is still a leak. I just removed the plastic casing but left the heater attached to the hoses I therefore managed to have a good look now while the engine is running. It looks like the leak is not from the matrix but it is from the plastic end. Need to take out another day and have a good look at the plastic plate.  Errm, I wonder if a silicone sealant could be of any help here-it is just very annoying to refill the coolant of a  K series every few weeks  *grumpy*

Thanks Ahmed. I've done it now. My issue is a knackered matrix, so a little different to your annoying problem. My new issue as of 5 mins ago is that the lovely new totally metal matrix doesn't quite fit...grrrr...it appears to be mm's too wide so it doesn't quite nestle back into the cut out area at the bulkhead. Not sure what to do now! 

Any bright ideas from anyone welcome. Off to do some more Blat chat searching!