Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Running in oil

LawrenceR

Personally I would always use the grade Ford recommend for the engine.

I used semi-synthetic for the first year (with a change at 1000 miles), then changed to fully synthetic.

Honda use semi-synthetic oil in their Type R engines and don't swap to fully synthetic until 20,000.

My engine doesn't use oil in road use.

Duncan

Is this a stick new engine form CC or a new build tweek engine?

If the latter does it have a decent map?

If you have warranty you may have guidance from your engine supplier,

If not all my engine get millers or mineral oil,

Warmed up then on a quiet staght road 2nd gear and full beans from 3k to the limiter, lift and coast back to 3k then repaeat - do the at least a dozen times.

Then run using liberal mix of all speeds and loads,

DO NOT potle aound under 4k aka Miss Daisy - you do nothing other than polish the bores,

Change oil after 300 miles to full syth and use every horse in your stable  *driving*

Interesting perspective on running in 'hard'. For my last Ducati, I was advised a somewhat similar idea: get to the top of a long drag with a warm engine, then repeatedly coast down in a high gear, with the throttle at zero. His explanation was that the rings would be 'sucked' outwards onto the cylinder walls, and wear evenly. A more moderate approach to Mototuneusa, but the same idea.

Costing on zero throttle will only cool the rings and allow debris to clear after a full power blast, the rings are pushed onto the cylinder wall under combustion pressure not sucked.

Possible you misunderstood or it was translated badly if it was in the handbook? I suspect it was meant to be power up the hill hard then coast down and repeat, this would seem more logical.

Is this a stick new engine form CC or a new build tweek engine?  If the latter does it have a decent map?

Box fresh with the correct caterham map.  

I am trying to decide whether to run it in on rollers with break in oil or wait until after the PBC and IVA and do it a little later than ideal