Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Watts linkage .

Nigel R300

• 5 months later...

Old thread resurrection, but think relevant - found some much cheaper track-rod ends on ebay that are a direct swap in.

Someone point pointed out to me that there was a little clattering coming from my rear suspension recently. This was especially noticeable over small bumps - catseyes probably the best test.  I had assumed TADT, but decided to take a closer look.  Jacking up the rear and whacking the bottom for a wheel with palm revealed a 'clack' (both wheels).  Turned out to be the fore watts linkage track rod end - I could easily wobble the link.

The caterham part is ARHT4ECR.  As noted above, Caterham charge ~£45 each for these and they don't appear to be in stock (surprise).  I found the correct part on ebay on sale from mcgillmotorsports for £6. Part is: "1/4" x 5/16" RIGHT Hand Ultra High Performance Rose Joint Male".  Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160764614154.  Loads of these in stock.

Anyway, changing both sides took about 30 mins and the clattering has gone, which makes the car much quieter and place to be.  Really nice little fix.

When you replace them ... do check the deDion is square across the car ... as the rod end bearings are used to adjust the position of it. Measure from a chassis point, not a wing. Surprising what a difference a few mm can make.

On the rear ones, you may find the stud is too long for the (presumably) blind tapped hole. If so, cut the stud down with a hacksaw ... don't try to screw it in using force, or the stud may well snap. Also ... if you have had the arms powder coated, clean out the threads with a tap .... don't try screwing the rod end in. Rod ends should always just screw in by hand ... they are secured with the lock nut. Use copaslip or similar on threads to aid future removal

Tks again for tips.  I used copaslip on the fore rods when replacing, but in fact everything came undone very easily - I was prepared for a battle and had pre-soaked with plus gas.  Garage probably freed up as part of suspension setup.

• 2 months later...

Any feedback of the McGill parts? I recognise the high spec has a higher loading and should therefore be stronger than the ones Caterham use, and although a good finish there not quite so posh as the originals. All in all had been a bit shy of using them. Something in me said at that price.......

having said I use McGill rod ends all over the rest of the car, just none that small in such a critical location.

Do make sure you are using the correct, shouldered, bolts throuh the eyes.

I had a car that failed an MOT as the previous servicer had put bolts in with no solid shank - just normal bolts.  The thread collapsed under the load and left over a mm of play in the eye..

Ian - if you are selling your old watts-link stuff, I would be interested!

Cheers - Simon