Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Dry Sump fitting - what part is this?

Monte Busa

Hello all!  This is my first post on the forum.  I'm in the (un)enviable position of building up a new K Series lump for my S3 from across the pond in Michigan, USA.  The engine is going together quite nicely (see pic)!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/Aric_Streeter/Seven6_zps00ee9899.jpg

Most parts were sourced from Dave Andrews and DVA Power, aside from a few reused parts from the previous engine in the car (a 1.4L SS K-Series),  I'm uprating the dry sump from the purple to gold spec CC kit with the bellhousing tank, I purchased a whole kit of parts from CC, who, I must say, were not very helpful in figuring out what I needed.  Suffice to say, there are a few head scatchers for me, with the one remaining one being this:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/Aric_Streeter/IMG_2152_zpsa01c8bc0.jpg

I haven't messed with the bellhousing / tank yet other than to remove the fill plate readying it for the conning tower setup, and I venture to guess this may be for the tank feed to the pressure pump?  Any hints?

Cheers,

Aric

Hi, welcome to the L7GB club & Blatchat! I note from the photo of your engine that you still have the large Rover engine mount in the middle of the timing belt / below the camshaft pulleys.  Do you know this is completely redundant in the Caterham longitudinal engine installation, and it can be removed and a bit of weight saved?  If your not planning on using the belt cover you may as well remove it.  If you use the belt cover, you can buy (or least used to be able to!) a small ali cover which attaches to the main timing belt cover to cover the resultant hole in the cover.     

Thanks for the quick response Mark!  

The front cover area has been a sore point for me on the build.  Since I'm using a VVC head, I need VVC covers, which are competely unobtainium as far as I can see, for a full set and one that is not beat to hell at least.  I'm inclined to build my own snazzy ally plate cover to address most of the debris issues I may see, we'll see how that goes...something similar to what I've seen on various BTCC racers and very much like a bloke that maintains his own Seven blog site, Alcester Racing, has done.  Thinking to myself, I wonder if he's on here?  Maybe I can nab a pattern off of him?

As as for the mount, it will be removed regardless of what I end up doing for a cover, and it's in place now only as a convenient hoist / lift location.  I know it came in handy when the engine can out of the car for sure.

thank you for the tip on Redline oldbutnotslow - I'll be sure to check them out.

Oilyhands - is that you Dave?

Aric

• 2 weeks later...