Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow Zetec convesion

Duckpit

Aplogies, I know this subject has been done to death, but I seem to have trouble getting round the new Blatchat.

I see Kitspares.co.uk are doing a new Zetec 2.0 for £868 on Ebay, but what else do I need ?

Can I use my 40 DOCE's ? and if so what jets and what size throttles

Can I use the supplied clutch and flywheel with my Type 9,I suspect the one with the engine is for FWD

I suspect I also need an ignition system, alternator kit, starter, inlet manifold, low profile sump, engine bearers and exhaust.

I am sure I must  must be missing a few things

Cheers

Nick

I would recommend a quick call to Raceline. They sell all of the parts you need and can advise what you need. They also sell crated engines. They did my install but I am using twin 40's still and once set up on a rolling road it runs beautifully. It is a great engine and in standard trim but with Raceline exhaust is produces 168 bhp. I would recommend a lightened flywheel. Good luck. 

Hi Nick. 

Don't know what chassis you have, but in my 1982 car some things didn't just go together. And there have been some other unforeseen troubles. The type 9 will fit the engine, if you want to keep the muck out of the bell housing the x flow intermediate plate will need modifying, add a new piece on the upper off side. On the zetec block there is a different casting shape, at this point. 

BM me and I'll try to recall the traps I've fallen in, still not on the road, months of cursing and swearing, but in the end it will be worth it, I hope. 

Regards, Nigel. 

And to throw another option into to the mix is get the xflow rebuilt *thumbup*

When i first got my car i always knew at some point i would want to do something with the engine but in those earlier days wasn't quite sure what. Change the engine for the Zetec or keep the xflow alive and kicking ?

After much digging around of the various options i decided for me i would go down the rebuild route.....

1/ Because i liked the simplicity of the xflow

2/ Because i knew everything fits in the car without any major mods

3/ My xflow was already running an Alpha TB and ECU so decided to stick with this successful formula

4/ My xflow rebuild is a very much a well proven build from Protune Racing Services (Ratrace Motorsport)

Today my ole school xflow run's beautifully on my original Alpha Throttle Bodies with an Emerald ECU switchable map. Although fuel economy was never really a consideration it has improved my fuel return hugely with a fuel eco map throw into the mix. Switch her to the race map and the xflow then livens up even more. Take her around the Surrey twisties or put her on the track i am delighted that i decided to stick with what is coincided these days as an aging engine.

Lightened and balanced flywheel, HP oil pump and a Competition clutch installed along with a larger 6" exhaust. All this made for an expensive mod but one i have no regrets today.

So theres food for thought from someone that still loves the sound and simplicity of an ole aging xflow

Keep the xflows alive and kicking and follow the Flow *driving*

I'm with Gordon - mine's an old crossflow with throttle bodies (Jenvey) and 3D engine management (Omex).

The Zetec is a great engine but am I right in thinking it's no longer made? How will that impact costs ina  few years' time? The crossflow can be expensive but parts seem to be available (again, will that continue?). Is the crossflow still actually being made (for Formula Ford)?

A Zetec engined car should be faster but the crossflow still goes well. It also sounds and looks gorgeous, has great torque, is updateable as budgets allow and even arguably is a bit more 'heritage'.

Whichever route you go, you'll have a great car. My punt is that crossflow cars will become more desirable - but as I never plan to sell mine, that's not an issue.

Andy

Hi Nick

The jetting spec i ended up with on mine is:

34mm chokes
140 mains
F9/F16 emulsions
180 airs
50F9 idles

with i think 35 pump jet and 40 spill (as already fitted to super sprint spec).

I have a formula ford spec lightened stock 2.0 flywheel and used the stock 2.0 focus plate and cover with a transit crb (cct303 i think). seems to work, but i think raceline have a custom crb and spacer that might be better.

I bought the scholar sump, and in road use i have never had a problem. I think raceline do an alternator kit that allows use of your old crossflow alternator. I kept the ford thermostat housing as it allows the car to cool as ford intended, and it was a lot cheaper than the raceline solution. 

Ian