Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Super light suspension on SV - Rear ARB

After  7years of ownership I've just noticed the rear ARB is not mounted in the same location on each hub carrier. The offside mount has been offset in order toallow the speedo sensor to be located. Looks a bit jury rigged to me! I have also had problems with ARB adjustable drop links having worn 2 sets out in10k! each time it was pointed out by the mot examiner although he didn't fail them. The drop links don't look man enough for the job to me, has anyone found something a bit beefier that might last more than 5K

Slightly unorthodox but not a problem. As the two lever ends of the ARB are reacting against each other, the net effect if having them in different holes averages them. eg. Using hole 3 on one side and 4 on the other gives an equivalent ARB stiffness of 3.5 (approximately, due to variations in relative angles of links to the arms giving slight mathematical deviation). The ARB links are deffo strong enough but due to their metal to metal design tend to quickly get some free play. Depends on your tolerance to rattle over broken up road surfaces how often you want to replace them. There may be a type with a ptfe lining at great expense? (Anyone?) Or expensively redesign with sphercal bearing rod ends which would last longer.

Peter

After having the same problem with the linkages each year at the MOT, I replaced mine with these http://www.rod-ends.co.uk/ only changed them at the beggining of the year so don't know about long term wear, but they are much more substantial. All up it cost me about £75 so a bit more than the Caterham supplied ones, but I'm pretty sure they won't need changing for a good few years.