Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Radiator only lasted a few months now leaking - Replace or repair?

glasgow

Keith offered a new radiator for £100 plus VAT. Not the best outcome I aimed for but may be a fair compromise as the fault was reported after 1 year. I should have had a good look to see where the leak was coming from rather than assume it was the mikalor clip. (NB he also offered sending the radiator to see if it could be repaired)

I had similar problems with a Radtec bought via a club bulk buy a few years ago. Coolant leaking at the tube joints into the sides. I remember at the time there were a few others that had similar problems, Shame because it was a lovely bit of kit.

Good that Radtec are providiing support to sort the issues out.

Coolant leaking at the tube joints into the sides. I remember at the time there were a few others that had similar problems 

That is exactly where my leak is - tube joints into the sides... Any details please about what Radtec did to fix this issue...

I sent one back for repair to Radtec, the repair looked like they had identified the leak and covered the area in JB Weld.  Then pressure tested it and sent it back free of charge,  Great Company to deel with.

I was advised that I had been using the wrong type of coolant ( the pink 5 year stuff from Halfords)  apparently this contains OAT ( organic acid technology) and damages the Radtec ali rads, he showed me the black oxide deposits inside the rad caused by the OAT.  Was advised to use the cheaper blucol.  Also told that the latest Radtecs had a new magnesium/aluminium alloy used for the core and this was expected to last longer .

Cat amongst the pigeons time Rob ...

So every car fitted with a Radtech radiator should stop using OAT type antifreeze (and start using Bluecol or equivalent). ?

I wonder if Radtech alloy rads are special or if this applies to all alloy rads ?

I've asked Radtech for their view

I claim no expertise in this and would caution against jumping to conclusions. I know  of no major failures in the Seven world attributed to antifreeze

I agree, but these questions have occured to me....

Although your car has an engine from Ford, the rest of the cooling system is not/may not be Ford. For instance, from the little i've read, there have been law suits in the US concerning a particular antifreeze that has allegedly been responsible for inlet gasket failures. Also, certain antifreezes (just in the US I think) have ingredients that are unfriendly to silicone rubber (I have silicone hoses).

I read that OAT systems are not recommended for systems containing "yellow metals". What is the material used in your thermostat (mine looks like brass). What about heater matrix (I don't have one), are they "yellow metals" ?

I think we need an answer from an expert.

This from Radtec

• "I have not noticed a problem with OAT coolant however if asked I personally recommend the Bluecol."

From what I read there are currently 3 types of coolant generally available. OAT (organic acid technology), IAT (inorganic acid technology) and HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology). They apparently ALLwork well as antifreeze/lubricant/corrosion inhibitors.

• The advantage of OAT is that it doesn’t need to be changed for 4/5 years (a potential cost saving)
  • The disadvantage is that it shouldn’t be used in systems containing “yellow metal”
  •  
  • The advantage of IAT is that it can be used on all mixed metal engines with components including steel, cast iron, copper, brass, aluminium and solder without any detrimental effect.
  • The disadvantage is that because of the degradation of additives that are responsible for the lubricant/anticorrosion properties, it needs to be changed regularly (every 2 years)

HOAT claims to combine the advantages of both but I am unable to find details as it is relatively new.

• I conclude:
  • OAT is safe to use in aluminium radiators
  • If you have any doubt about the metals used in your cooling system (perhaps due to upgrades carried out by a previous owner) then IAT (Bluecol type) is the safer choice

From my experience, it’s not always clear from the packaging, what type of antifreeze you are buying. I suggest that if it claims to be long life it’s probably not IAT (but could be OAT or HOAT)

Apparently the rule is, do not mix different types of antifreeze because the resultant brew of   additives produces a sludge in the system.

There’s an awful lot of conflicting information on the web …..

• Thanks for asking Radtec, Roger. As we thought.
  • It is very confusing. I think that's because of the combination of commercial interests and the required experiments taking so long to do.
  • For other reasons 7s tend to run for few hours but have their coolant changed frequently so it isn't as much of a problem as with other vehicles. As with oil.
  • And that's without bringing waterless coolant into it!

Jonathan

• 5 years later...