Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma engine problems

Garth

Tried to start her today and the following happened - battery good and engine turning over vigorously but sounding dead - odd poof! Eventually started with lots of pumping of the accelerator and then the revs shot up to about 7000 before I managed to switch off. Tried starting several times and the same thing happened as soon as engine took revs shot up with throttle allegedly off! Did not want to leave it running to see if the revs would tail off - especially when cold!

Checked throttle cable etc not sticking and all seems fine! Running on Jenvey throttle bodies with an Omex ECU. Checked the butterflies were responding to accelerator movement and all ok - could not check on my own what the butterfies were doing once it started! Seems odd that it could rev so high with the butterflies closed? Is the TPS messed up? - but even if the ECU was pumping in more fuel how could it rev like that without more air? 

Last blast was Llandow track day and drive home the folowing day and all was runimg normally when parked up. Only issue I had on the track day was that the oil temp was running a little high?

Any ideas welcome thanks

Have you tried resetting the ECU.  Not sure about your set up but on the standard sigma supersport when it's running not happy, just turning off the battery master switch and leaving it for a few seconds resets it.

i am wondering if with the pumping to get it going it's got a bit confused.

Tried disconnecting battery - started in usual lumpy way and idled roughly for a few seconds as soon as I gave it a little throttle revs shot up and I had to switch off the ignition - TPS sending incorrect messages to ECU? Or ECU doing someting silly - still not sure how revs can climb so high without butterflies opening up?

It was a very simple issue in the end! - solved with a decent pair of glasses so I could see more detail! The end of the accelerator cable housing had popped out of the cable stop 'socket' and was sitting on the edge of the 'socket' which meant the throttle was actually open a little! Interesting thing to me was how that little opening was enough to produce so many revs as when I looked at the butterflies they appeared only very slightly open which I assumed was the normal resting position for idling! Thanks