Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed bump grinding !

A_redstone

Hi

I have done a search on this matter but came up empty !

Obviously we all try and avoid speed bumps , however what I want to know is if I am damaging my car in anyway.......

I go over the Tarmac speed bump with great care and caution very slowly, I only just about manage to keep it ticking over , but I do end up grinding the bottom of the dry sump engine on the bump no matter how I do it ......

However I do end up getting "grounded" on the bump ......

Am I doing any damage ?

Thanks

Andy

Hello

I am not sure on what the clearance is , I could go and measure it.....

The bit that grinds is the bottom of the engine, not bolts or anything like that , it's just metal

But you can tell it does lift the engine up a little when going over it.....

I will see if I can take a pic when I get it out of garage and email it to you

Thanks

There is just one bump on the road from my house slightly higher than the rest which I have ground my (wet) sump on almost every day for the last 10+ years. No damage beyond scratches in the ali and to my temper *mad*

Catching a cat's-eye at 60+ was a different matter (I had just changed to CR500s which reduced my already marginal ground clearance).

Usually on full width speed bumps, the front of the sump rises as the front wheels go over it.

Normally (wet sump anyway), the point most at risk is the bellhousing as it is midway between front and rear wheels.

If it lifts the engine, it is stretching the rubber in the engine mounts every time.

Edited by - SM25T on 31 Aug 2014 08:38:18

Put the photos on a server!

If you go on grinding the sump then at some point a hole will appear and will need application of five pound notes. How are you going to detect that before it happens?

Point about engine mounts made above. Similarly how are you going to check their condition?

Jonathan

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Andy's sump.

Jonathan

For extra clarity, the 2 humps in question are on a private road, we are moving house in 4 weeks time and I have just discovered this issue having visited it in the seven !

So the road and bumps are maintained by the group of houses concerned so yes later down the line I could talk to the committee about modifications, but that does not help me now or the near future........

Thanks !

Probably cheaper to make your own 'modifications' to the speed humps late one night than the cost of repairing the bellhousing *smile*

I have caught the ali guard in front of the bellhousing - once at speed on a bumpy back road and another couple of times at snails pace going over stupidly officious speed bumps.

Made me cringe every time but so far (touch wood), cosmetic damage only

That does look way too low to me ... and I'm guessing that's with nobody sitting in it too? I think you need to have a good look at your ride height / supension setup before you catch it on something like the raised iron base of a cat's eye (don't laugh, been there, cost me a new sump and it was running higher than yours, you only need the road camber / crest of a bump / compression under braking to conspire against you once).

I believe there is a member on here who recently lost his whole car as a writeoff after a very low speed impact with the sump bent the chassis ...

What options do I have to increase ground clearance of the car ?

It's not set that way deliberately by me, that's the way it was when I bought it.

And it's does have cr500's on !

This does worry me, don't really want to sell the car to move house !

Just put 40psi in your tyres !

If I encounter a nasty looking speed bump I cross it diagonally. That way the front wheel that hits the bump first & lifts the front of the car before the sump passes by. That way the first thing on and off the speed bump is a wheel which should hopefully be keeping part of the car up in the air until you have crossed it entirely.

That does look way too low to me ... and I'm guessing that's with nobody sitting in it too? I think you need to have a good look at your ride height / supension setup before you catch it on something like the raised iron base of a cat's eye (don't laugh, been there, cost me a new sump and it was running higher than yours, you only need the road camber / crest of a bump / compression under braking to conspire against you once).

I believe there is a member on here who recently lost his whole car as a writeoff after a very low speed impact with the sump bent the chassis ...

You can get a beer keg under mine 😬 you need it up here in Yorkshire . Best approach I find is at an angle if they are the ridge sort . On the longer platforms I find a little blip of the throttle just before the bump raises the front .