Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Freestyle spring rates

andygoodliffe

I have these on another PC at work. Drop me a blat mail in the morning to remind me and I'll send you the list of couloirs vs spring rates.

• Area Representative

You can work out spring rates by measurement of the coils.

Try this calculator here

Put your own values in the cells marked **

The "number of active coils" is the number of coils that are not actually in contact with either spring seat.

• Area Representative

Andy,

are you thinking that you have 350lbs/in springs both front and rear?

That sounds incredibly stiff to me *eek*

Standard SLR front springs are 150lbs/in, and the rears are progressive, from something like 110, to 130, to 200lbs/in (but the 200 part is only applicable in extreme bump). In my opinion, these rates work pretty well.

The quickest sprint and hillclimb cars (which is a good base for a road and occasional track day car) tend to use springs somewhere in the order 200 to 225lbs/in on the front, and 130 to 150lbs/in rear.

What are you planning on replacing your existing dampers with?

Remember that the dampers need to be valved to suit your chosen spring rates.

It's ok Richard - my rear springs were 'Silver' ones so only 150lbs according to the above info. I went with Gary Mays ( Freestyles) choice at the time but he kept the rates secret (don't really know why). I plan probably to go with Simon Rogers supplied equipment - he definitely seems to know his stuff. My most important miles are put in on track days. I can live with a slightly firm ride on the road so probably 250ish fronts and 150ish rears I'm guessing. They will be matched to the dampers of course.