Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Laid up for 8 months and won't start

Chris F

My seven has been laid up for 8 months in my parent's drive as we've had the builders in but when I went to it today to try to get it going again it decided to not play ball.

Its a 1600k

I've got power, I can hear the fuel pump prime and lights etc all come on fine.

Symptons are like the K-click - I have the starter relay mod and so tried switching relays after which the starter momentarily engaged but then went back to the relay clicking again that was it.

I've taken the battery away and put it on the optimate in case there isn't enough juice in it but wondering if anyone has any bright ideas as to any obvious things to try?

Disappointed from Epsom!

Chris

If you didn't charge the battery before you tried to start the car then after eight months, almost certainly the failure to start is down to that. There may well have been enough charge to power up the lights and instruments, but batteries normally need to be fully charged to start an engine as it usually requires quite a bit of power.

Brian

Quoting Chris F: 
I've taken the battery away and put it on the optimate in case there isn't enough juice in it

Optimate isn't the best choice for charging a flat battery - it's a conditioner, not a charger. If you don't have a "proper" charger make sure it has at least 24 hours on the Optimate, preferably 48. Max charge from the Optimate is 0.9A, so fully charging a 28 AH Banner battery will take 31 hours. Having said that, yours clearly isn't completely flat, so hopefully won't need quite that long.

Its a powervamp battery rather than an banner and I've found it holds it charge pretty well but point taken on the amount of power it needs to start the car. It had been disconnected while laid up also - nevertheless I've charged it up and the optimate says its good to go. Not going to get to the car again now for a few days but we will see when I do.

Dave, I always drape some plastic over the engine if leaving it outside for a while as I've fallen fowl for the water in the spark plug holes before so fingers crossed I'll be alright on that one.

Fingers crossed!