Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Smaller numberplate supplier ?

chris956

I'm getting the hump with the enormous front numberplate and leaving all the legalities behind I want a smaller one instead. I've done a little looking about and some of the companies have got a bit of a hit and miss reputation.

Has anyone used one recently with satisfactory results they would recommend ? Not looking to go postage stamp size but roughly the legal import car size ??

Cheers

I used http://www.fancyplates.com, less than £20, very fast delivery and comes with all the fitting bits you need (coloured screw caps etc)

3/4 size fits the nosecone width perfectly and with standard font you'd be hard pushed to tell that it's not quite normal size - as neither is the car!

Aside from the legalities, I can also confirm -sadly- that scamera vans can definitely still read them *redface* 🙆🏻

Plate arrived safe and sound but the quoted 3/4 size import legal plate is not so. The letters and numbers have to be 64mm high and on my plate they are 59mm.

It is a massive improvement on the look at the front of the car and without any badges , borders or silly slogans it does not look out of place at all. It also came with sticky pads at no extra cost so I am a happy camper *thumbup*

64mm high is the official motorcycle size, 59mm is 3/4 of the official car size which is 79mm.

Maybe if you had requested motorcycle sized letters in a car format you would have got what you wanted.

I have been using M/C size letters on my plates for the past 11 years and (touch wood) have had no problems.

The plate sizes look right on such a small car.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 23 May 2014 15:27:34

Quoting Grim Reaper: 
64mm high is the official motorcycle size, 59mm is 3/4 of the official car size which is 79mm.

Maybe if you had requested motorcycle sized letters in a car format you would have got what you wanted.

I have been using M/C size letters on my plates for the past 11 years and (touch wood) have had no problems.

The plate sizes look right on such a small car.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 23 May 2014 15:27:34

Perhaps I should have checked but the website made it clear the 3/4 plate was the full legal size i.e a motorcycle size like you have. Hence posting up so others dont ahve the same problem as me should it be a huge concern for them.

You are right about the look. Its far better than the huge landing strip the std size is

I've always run without a front plate, on the premise that you are more likely to receive a warning if stopped and say 'it fell off', than if you are stopped for an illegal plate.

It gets stuck back on for MOTs.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmm I have bitter experience of number plates!

No numberplate £100 fine but no points

Illegal sized numberplate £100 fine and 3 points

I have contributed £260 to the exchequer over the past couple of years! The £60 was before the fines went up

In point of fact the car is better aerodynamically with the large plate but I agree it looks so much better with a 3/4 sized one.