Click here if you are having website access problems ×

20 XE front pulley removal

Don Cook

You need to lock the flywheel to prevent it turning and then it's just a matter of brute force. The crank bolt is mighty tight and I use a breaker bar with an extension tube. You can make a flywheel lock very easily with a piece of scrap steel and a 12mm drill ....

I think your engine is out of the car ? Make sure it is well supported before trying to undo the bolt

Just to add it depends which bit you want off. The alternator and dry sump pulleys simply unbolt with the 8 or so and 3 cap heads respectfully. The cam belt pulley as Roger suggests needs a flywheel lock and a big bar.

If it is to replace cam belt you will need a good quality impact socket. And replace with a new bolt. I have done mine a couple of times with a drill bit through flywheel hole to block, needs to be a very close fit in hole

image here

Edited by - k.russell on 12 May 2014 21:45:57

Er ..you shouldn't need to remove the big bolt to just do the cambelt ,only to get the oil pump off.If its on the floor angry grinder the head off and the rest will walk out once the tensions off it.

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the help.

I don’t need to remove the timing belt pulley just the alternator and dry sump drive pulleys.

The bolts that attach the alternator drive pulley to the crank are covered by an aluminium casting so are not accessible. The dry sump pump drive pulley has 3 very small allen bolts on the end. These don’t look big enough to do much. The question is I think, how to remove the aluminium cover to get access to the bolts behind.

Thanks,

Don.

If this is the standard Caterham setup, then Mavic's instructions will work. The 3 small cap heads will remove the dry sump drive pulley, then remove the (6 ?) M8 bolts/capheads and the pulley will fall on your foot 😬

Edited by - ECR on 13 May 2014 17:34:23