Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch release bearing

Ads7

Got the engine out doing the clutch. Went to fit the new crb and it dosent fit over the shaft. Redline supplied the parts and this is the only bit holding me up. Is there 2 diffrent types of crb for the 5 speed?

Adam

Is your release bearing the flat or curved sort? In other words, the section that makes contact with the pressure plate fingers. I've seen both sorts but I have no idea on the reasoning behind it. My 5-speed currently uses a bearing that's designated as being for the 4-speed but is fine. *confused*

I will probably get hammered for saying this, but I've reused my CRB (and entire clutch kit) before, with no repercussions thus far. 😳 But I will be replacing it the next time the engine comes out, before anyone gets too preachy. I also use a flat-type bearing.

Does the car have to go back together this weekend or can you wait until the post is back up and running? Or maybe a local club member has a spare you could borrow. I have a spare but I am not very local to you, unless you fancy a long drive. ☹️

Edited by - Mankee on 3 May 2014 15:58:15

Good luck! *thumbup* At least you can change just the release bearing without having to pull the entire engine out. Although it is strange that the new bearing doesn't fit over the input shaft sleeve. Is the old and new clutch cover the same?

I'm assuming we're talking K here. If so, the "flat" CRB is the original type (made by INA) as used by Ford and others specifically for the Type 9 5-speeder. Following problems with premature CRB failures (almost always caused by inadequate pre-load), CC moved to an alternative "curved" CRB (made by SKF). This was, IMHO, a bit of a puzzle as (a) this CRB is not designed to fit the Ford clutch fork, and (b) it didn't address the fundamental design problem in the way the clutch mechanism operated. The archives are full of stuff on CRBs and the need for pre-load (you could start here perhaps). If you haven't taken steps to increase your CRB pre-load, now might be a very good time to do it! If you want, I can send you an article I wrote way back for LF, explaining how to do this. A CRB with the correct pre-load should last for tens of thousands of miles. Re your new CRB, can you quote a part number or post up a pic? An alternative source might be your local Ford dealer (if they still stock Sierra bits, that is). Ask for FINIS code 6124270, Part no. 83BB 7548 AA. CC would send you one of these (P/N AB57U - the SKF item). The "flat" CRB was P/N AB57.

(Edited 02Aug16 to fix broken links.)

JV

This is strange! It may be as simple as the wrong part in the box.

As I know that you will already appreciate, the clutch release fork and the CRB are generally an easy slide over the nose here with a reasonable amount of play. Are you saying that the CRB wont slide over the nose at all even when not fitted to the fork?

Do forgive me but you have got all the bits of the old CRB off the release fork?

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 4 May 2014 08:14:20

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 4 May 2014 13:31:14

Quoting Ads7: 
Correct!! The crb will not slide over the main shaft.

Adam

Seems like you've been sent the wrong part. Do you have anything from Redline (invoice, delivery note, box) that shows the part number? Can you post up a pic of the new CRB?

JV

OK, I'm in on this thread, as I have a problem with CRB. (Apologies for the hi-jack)

So the Caterham item (AB57U) has a "round" face? Is that correct?

I was under the impression round faced CRB were used with "flat" finger clutch plates, and "flat" face CRB with "curly" finger clutches, so as to give some sliding, rolling action as the CRB pressed against the back of the cover plate fingers.

If that is correct I could probably use my nearly new clutch cover and friction plates with just a change of CRB. 😬

Here's hoping, bet it doesn't pan out like that.

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

AB57U (the SKF item) is "round" in the sense that the body of the CRB has a pronounced rounded shape and the edge of the contact face is markedly radiused, whereas AB57 (the INA item) is less so. In both cases, the contact area itself is flat. Both designs are intended to be held in constant contact with the diaphragm fingers of the cover plate; there should be no sliding at all when in use. This is why a pre-load is required. When the CRB is used for the first time, the body moves on its plastic carrier so as to align with the clutch centre. Thereafter, the CRB simply spins at crank speed, with no radial movement at all.

So, I'd say that, provided your nearly-new cover plate has undamaged spring fingers, just replacing the CRB will be OK.

JV

Hi John, just been in the garage for a bit of cursing and swearing.

I assembled the clutch to the flywheel, cover p/n motorcraft F4883, friction plate no. Motocraft F4883, CRB no. INA F202993, with flat face, this is identical to the CRB from the x flow / type 9 install, but now in a Zetec / type 9 fit up, Raceline identified it as a standard Focus CRB.

I measured the clutch release arm travel from clamped to free, 25mm, but I think the clutch pedal leverage will probably over travel this distance.

I noticed the friction plate had the words "low lift" on it, so possibly doesn't need a long travel at the release arm, and to much forward travel may cause problems with the cover plate spring contacting the friction disc *mad*, more problems, perhaps.

This clutch was originally actuated by a hydraulic system, in a 7 CSR, so perhaps the cover plates are different for the different actuation methods.

Nigel.

Well the engine is back in and everything is working spot on. Redline came up trumps after a quick phone call and sent the new correct CRB the next day!! (That reminds me I've got to return the original)

The hardest part of the job was bleeding the cooling system.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Adam