Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres and a few others MOT/servicing issues...

Back2a7in0xfordshire

Afternoon,

So, my Superlight R is currently with Millwood and has just had 12k service and cambelt, but alas a few issues need to be resolved to pass the MOT ☹️:

1. Tyres - needs 2 rear tyres (205/55/R13)

2. Steering rack boots both perished, need replacing

And there are a few other things that also need doing *mad* but not sure how much is DIYable (have done very little work on the car myself to date so not sure if I will be able):

- wheel bearings (probably both)

- cam cover gasket

- all radiator hoses

I'm waiting on them pricing up the above, so will see, but couple of thoughts on how easy or tricky some of this is would be handy - do please bare in mind that I have been hands off on the 7 so far so am starting from a standing start (now might be the time to change that...!)!

And I've done some research on BC re tyres, and from the looks of things, the best options are clearly the CR500s (which I currently have), with other options being:

Toyo R1R

Toyo T1R (can you get them on 13's?)

Toyo 888

I don't do any track days (yet) so road dry/wet tyre would be best for me - not sure if its really worth the extra £££ for the Avons? And where is the best place to get tyres from, the normal online places (camskill, black circles, etc) don't seem to stock 13s in 205???

Thanks in advance team.

Are the wheel bearings front or rear? If front, all they may need is a clean, regrease and adjustment. This would normally be done every four years. If rear, there's more dismantling work involved (not difficult) but you'll need a hefty torque wrench for tightening the hub nuts (200 lbft).

Replacing the cam cover gasket is very simple, but a small torque wrench would be useful for the bolts (7 lbft).

Removing/replacing hoses is straightforward. The only problem you're likely to have is bleeding air out when you refill the coolant.

I like CR500s, and find them a very good road tyre (wet and dry). I know nothing about Toyos.

JV

Wheel bearings are fronts, they found the problem whilst doing the service - Millwood tell me that one of them is completely shot and not rotating properly, and other one has had water get in and should also be done(?). So think both need doing. Presume pressing these out/in isn't straightforward for a basic DIYer, so might get them to do that.

Cam cover, good heads up - have torque wrench (will need to check it goes down to 7 lbft).

Hoses - yup, draining down the system is the only tricky bit, hmmm...

Tyres - tempted to try the Toyos, given that people seem to say good things about them and their price. Have only had a quick look but SM25T & Bob L, any recommendations on which site/where to buy from?

Cheers.

I recently fitted new tyres all round. After some research and listening to feedback on here, I decided to go with the trusted Avon CR500. I think they are great and this was after looking at the Avon ZZR, Yokohama A048, Toyo R888 and Kumho V70A.

Sounds like the jury is still very much out on this one (as you would expect as tyres are such a personal choice - feel vs price!).

But think I must be missing something, currently the CR500s are 205/55/R13s but really struggling to find any alternative options in that size/profile online. Can I change the size/number whilst still fit on the same 13" rims? There's plenty of space under the arches so presume I could increase to 60 or 65 (can I????) but not sure how it would work with the fronts stating as they are, errr...? *confused*