Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Madness

evotell

If you're talking about the sender, then mine is tucked up well out of the way on the end of a braided pipe. It's lasted a lot longer than previous ones did when they were in the original position. I can send you a photo or two if you like.

Edit: A remote sender kit was once available, which allowed the relocation of the sender on the end of a braided pipe, and the addition of an oil pressure warning light on the dash. Someone on here had one for sale, and sent me photos, but I decided to just go for a simple braided pipe. I can send you those photos too if you'd like me to.

Edit of edit: I managed for find the post that I referred to above, which is here. It might be worth dropping Tweeky an email to see if he still has the kit available.

Edited by - Mort on 14 Apr 2014 10:27:19

Quoting evotell: 
The location of the oil pressure switch on the 1.4 K Series is total madness. Has anybody done a mod on it. I plan to put a 90 deg elbow in the union which points it upwards. Any suggestion would be helpful.

I guess you mean the sender unit. My 1.4k pressure sender location is not madness at all. It is located on top of the oil filter housing, well protected by the filter housing itself below and the alternator above.

I suspect you have the later version with the sensor located below the filter housing. Your suggestion would seem to resolve the issue. Alternatively try and get hold of the earlier oil filter housing.

Malcolm

• Area Representative

Never mind the fact that the sensor gets covered in moisture and road grit which leads to early failure, it is physically vulnerable http://www.stephenhubbard.biz/O/PSensorHousing.jpg.

I haven't looked at the installation in a transverse configuration, is it any better protected?

My sensor is now on the end of a braided pipe, well out of the way.

The oil filter adapter parts are the same as in the FWD and mid-engined installs. Just that they are protected with undertrays, radiators, undertrays and what have you.

I had the early sort that Malcolm described with the sender port on the top. This developed a hairline crack over the years so had to get the later sort from Rimmers. Have remotely mounted the sender out of the way on the steering rack using an oil line from LMA, as well as using a T-piece to add an idiot light to the dash.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned converting to a mechanical gauge thus far!

• Area Representative

That suprised me too!

The sender is ok in the transverse installation for which it was designed. Whether Caterham should have modified the sender location and/or the filter and sender housing when using the K Series longitudinally I'll leave to others. I suspect it would have been prohibitive financially.

I've not had a problem with the Crossflow. *tongue*

Well, I did mention I'd thrown the sender in the bin in the second post! But I was unsure as to whether he means the switch or the sender.

I made simple adaptor to fit the original orifice and installed a braided line to a new guage, both from Burton power.

I do run mine at a sensible ride height, and even in car trials (driving off-road) and while I've got plenty of marks on the bottom of the sump, the oil filter and it's housing is fine.

Anyway, as Terry is an (ex?) integrale man, I'm not sure he can comment on position and access tto anything on a Caterham compared to the stuff buried in an integrale engine bay *wink*

Bri

Quoting Bricol: 
Well, I did mention I'd thrown the sender in the bin in the second post! But I was unsure as to whether he means the switch or the sender.

I made simple adaptor to fit the original orifice and installed a braided line to a new guage, both from Burton power.

I do run mine at a sensible ride height, and even in car trials (driving off-road) and while I've got plenty of marks on the bottom of the sump, the oil filter and it's housing is fine.

Anyway, as Terry is an (ex?) integrale man, I'm not sure he can comment on position and access tto anything on a Caterham compared to the stuff buried in an integrale engine bay *wink*

Bri

😬 😬 *wavey*

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
The time taken for the pressure to equalise across the system depends a bit on the size of the hole, but the equilibrium pressure doesn't. As above, there is no flow when it's at equilibrium.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 14 Apr 2014 21:21:55

Thanks Jonathan.