Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is it about Sikaflex / Sika Brand

Delbert

As I work for a major competitor to Sika I feel I know their strengths and weaknesses as well as they know mine

Worldwide the 2 brands compete in some area we lead and in others they lead . When we benchmark our company Sika ( along with Hilti) are where we start

Firstly I am not naming my brand as I learnt many years ago not to mix business and pleasure and I do not need flaming every time a wing falls off.

However what are Sika doing that they are so well regaled in a market that is not their target ( our mine)

Sikaflex 221 is a very old recipe - a simple PU that cleaves Isocyanates when it cures , it is nothing special in fact I would argue that GeoCell and Everbuild have better products

Any thoughts would be welcome as all knowledge helps develop the brand

I've read all the reviews on here recommending Sikaflex, but went for Tigerseal as it was a lot cheaper and easier to get.

Certainly sticks very well in my experience.

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 9 Apr 2014 22:11:02

I'd use Sikaflex because:

* I know lots of other people do

* It did what I wanted last time

* I need to be risk-averse in my choice

* They provide lots of information on the website.

I'd use something else, if:

* I knew it was better (or as good but cheaper). The best evidence I could get would be a back-to-back test by someone independent, but failing that good experiences from lots of users I trust might do it.

Arguments from plausibility wouldn't carry much weight.

So if I was selling another product in this market I'd make sure there were back-to-back tests out there.

Jonathan

Delbert, you almost answered your own question, it's of a known quality and what do people do in doubt ? they go for known quality, lets say it's a bit like Zippo for lighters. It may have helped that people in the past have used windscreen sealant to glue things together and that sealant fails because of the lack of UV resistance.

Brand awareness.

As someone who specifies adhesives, professionaly, on a daily basis. When I need a silicone, I usually choose from the Dow Corning range, just as if I were to specify an epoxy or acrylic, it would be 3M or Hysol.

Edited by - Barbarossa. on 10 Apr 2014 09:53:21

Guys thanks

It is of interest as I have a simple theory Sika have a consistent Brand image and across their whole range from Adhesives to water proofing

Alternatively we operate a house of brands so the connections are missed

Bulk buy? *eek*

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like a tube of something appropriate for holding wings on and, like Simon, Sikaflex's low shelf life when opened is a concern - or is that common to this type of sealant Delbert? Ability to do the job and reasonable price are important.

Andy

This thread is like listening to one half of a conversation.

We all know about Sikaflex. What other brands should we know about? Are there alternatives which would be good for sticking wings on? What advantages (if any) might they have?

I appreciate you don't want to be accused of advertising, but you introduced the topic and I'd certainly like to be told of any alternatives from a knowledgeable source - much better than "I used XXX brand and mine haven't fallen off yet".