Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Any idea what this connector is for?

Hi All *wavey*

Starting to scour round my new Supersport and have seen this harness & connector in the boot (diagonal spar on RHS of body):

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/13422566853_0a14fe7a38_c.jpg

Is it a case of it could be anything (within reason of course!) or is this a normal place to put, for example, the connector for a third brake light?

Edited by - grant_7 on 26 Mar 2014 09:50:32

• Area Representative

I suspect it could be the lead for a 12v power socket. The wiring is normally around that area (Caterham fit the socket on rear bulkhead). If not used, wiring is usually under the boot floor.

Give it a test with a meter or a bulb and a bit of wire. If 12 v power feed it will probably operate on first position of ignition key.

I used it to power Mrs Domus' heated waistcoat It is fed from a blank space in the fusebox, it is marked up at 20A (I think) I used a 3A fuse as that is the load on the jacket. The jacket has several settings from min to max. It has been christened Max by Mrs Domus. 😬

Thanks all *thumbup*

Have yet to run a bulb or meter to them, but did grab a clearer pic last night whilst cleaning out the boot:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/13441568084_160758343d_c.jpg

Quoting Grubbster: 
It's an unswitched power supply, I used it for my intercom *thumbup*

Excellent, although excuse my numpty-ness, but is this the case for both connectors?

As above. My guess is:

Red/ white: Feed switched with sidelights

Purple/ red: Accessory feed switched with ignition

Black: Earth

That's not quite consistent with Grubbster's findings but it should be close enough to let you (and the meter) work it out. Please tell us what you find.

The current wiring diagram for "all standard instrumentation, Ford Sigma variants" has these as PR179, RW89, B 15. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 27 Mar 2014 11:52:00

Okay well I think it's top marks to the majority of the posters above as you were all correct. So after dusting off the multimeter (and remembering how to use it... *rolleyes*) I have found the following:

Red/White - 12V when side lights are active (erm, what's the point of this? To add more lights?).

Purple/Black - this is permanently at 12V so I assume wired directly to the battery (works with ignition on or off). This would be the same as my 12V socket in the dash.

Thanks to all for their advice & direction *thumbup*

• Area Representative

Quoting Grant_7: 

Red/White - 12V when side lights are active (erm, what's the point of this? To add more lights?).

Purple/Black - this is permanently at 12V so I assume wired directly to the battery

Edited to say that the 12v feed when sidelights are on is simply to light the socket and other is 12v feed for socket.

note to self - don't reply when pi$$ed.

Edited by - Paul Richards on 27 Mar 2014 16:44:39