Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Studs for Barnbys

N Blandin

I've appear to have picked up a lovely set of Barnbys butI'm now wondering if my studs are long enough.

There is 20mm showing out of the hub.

I know I need to get some stepped nuts as well.

I don't really fancy replacing the studs...faff or what!

I found the same thing and had to fit longer studs.

I then had the problem of some of the nuts bottoming out before clamping as some of the nut threads hadn't been cut deep enough.

My local machine shop drilled the nuts through and they've been fine for the last 8 years or so.

You may also have to grind some of the de dion ears as it might foul the inside of the wheel.

I never had to fit extended studs to use Barnby wheels, are you shure you need them? If you offer up the wheel to the hub then slide the nut unto the thread through the wheel you should have a min of 10mm of sleeve nut to tighten until it seats and clamps the wheel to the hub.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Mar 2014 09:56:23

I needed different wheel nuts when I moved off Barnby wheels onto the Caterham Appollo

The nuts that hold the Barnbys on are like a T shape and the shaft of the nut goes through the wheel when tightened up on the stud . There was even a 3 mm isolating washer between the wheel and the head of the nut

When I transferred wheels the closed ended nuts fitted correctly so I would assume that the stud is the standard length

So different wheel nuts not different studs

I guess the test is offer up a wheel an see the gap between the stud and the "stud hole" ( I am sure there is a better name than that but for the life of me I cannot think of one )

Hope that makes sense

Thanks guys, that was quick! *wink*

The nuts I'm thinking of are as per Delberts drawing, I just didn't know if the thread went down inside the mounting hole.

I'll pick them up tomorrow so will check then and also have a check on my ears.

If you're unsure of the history of your new purchase, then I would highly recommend sending them back to Barnby for crack testing ... You can not generally see the cracks until the centres are stripped ... The consequence of one giving way is not a risk worth taking (IMHO)

Main reason for the post is I suggest buying a few extra sleeve nuts as the tolerances are very tight and more so when warm ( or even hot *wink* depending on use or abuse )

I have just tried to fit up to check and...

The de doing ear is AWFULLY. Close to the rim as Jon suggested, I don't fancy grinding them too much

The studs come flush with the outer face of the centre, so all of the "inset" thread on these new nuts will be what secured the rim.

I know these issues are surmountable, but I don't know if I'm in the mood