Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tune - do you say "tyoon" or "choon"?

Roger Ford

Quoting sforshaw: 
It begins with a "t" so why would anyone want to start with "ch" *confused*

How do you pronounce "knight"? The old-fashioned "ker-nic-t" way or the lazy modern "nite"? How about psychedelic? With a "p"? Or eight - like the German "acht", or simply "ate"?

Not sure how this ended up in TechTalk - sorry!

That last one made me laugh. I went to Scotland on holiday around Christmas in 1989, and at security upon return (with me only slightly hung over), the agent went piece-by-piece through everything in my suitcase. At one point, he held up a small container of Savex (chapped lip ointment) and asked "What's this?", to which I casually replied "lip balm". His eyes got big as saucers, and I immediately re-stated the term with a distinct emphasis on the "L", followed by "salve, ointment, cream" and any other like word that I could think of just then. Not at all funny at that time!

And I pronounce "tune" just like it has been spelled on the rear wing of the McLaren F1 cars a season or two back.

Being a lowly colonist. I say it with a "t" as in tuna with the "a" dropped. Or as in a Saturday morning bugs bunny fix known as a "Cartoon".

Quoting Pierson: 

All you need to know about the correct pronunciation. And it'll help you breathe more easily.

Pierson

That sounds like a score for the colonist's. *biggrin* Unless I need to shove a dose of tunes in my ears.