Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CrossFlow for sale

four20

i'm in the process of having the X/F extracted from my seven and a new zetec installed.

the old engine is a Roger King 155bhp unit and will be refurbished by James Whiting.

Just wondered if there was a market for this and how much I can expect to recover towards the cost of the (expensive) zetec.

four20, I'm pretty certain these are worth some money now, particularly to the historic race crowd. I have a feeling you may be pleasantly surprised as to how much you can get towards your Zetec conversion.

I'm sure someone in the know will be along shortly to enlighten you more.

Graham.

not too sure at the mo evotell, i was hoping for some enlightenment from others! i'm pretty sure that the exhaust and manifolds are included, the invoice for the new engine lists the exhaust system but doesn't go into detail although at £785 I would expect it to be complete (and gold plated!). there's no mention of new carbs but the rebuild should be finished next week so i'll know more then.

alot will depend on how much the 'refresh' costs. i was starting to get low oil pressure on tickover after a fast run but there's no bearing noise and the pressure was acceptable at driving revs so i'm hoping that it's the oil pump losing pressure and that the bearings and journals don't need grinding.

it's been a good engine, the inlet roar is magnificent and it got me best in class at the last combe meeting.

i'll get back to you when i know more - sorry to be a tad premature but i was eager to know what the going price was.

I guess it depends on spec and condition however I sold my worn xflow (167 bhp) for £3,200 in 2008 if my memory serves me right. This then was to fund a zetec conversion similar to yours.

If required happy to pass on the lessons learnt etc. I don't think you would be disappointed with the result

Andy *smile*

thanks anothercat, i'll take all the advice i can get - this is all new territory for me. did you get the old engine back complete or were essential bits swopped over onto the zetec?

i'm glad james whiting persuaded me of a zetec over a fresh X/F, he says it gets on the torque curve at lower revs so my starts could improve but any more info would be welcome. assume i know nothing and you'll be pretty close to my reality!

i had thought of a 2 litre version but james suggested that it might just trash the diff and an 1800 at least lets me race the crew i've been trying to beat for the past 2 years.

those sylva riots had better watch out.

thanks zetec, the excitement is tempered by the hole it's making in my pension but i'm looking forward to a run across salisbury plain to get it bedded in. met office says spring has sprung.

did james do the rolling road or is it a separate operation, if so where and how much?

also, were the 45s off your original engine (thinking of resale here).

Hi Tony,

Aha, you've seen the light *wink*, gotta say I still occasionally miss the characteristics of the x/flow.....

Unfortunately, my x/flow (140bhp Roger King) couldn't be sold as a working unit so I painstakingly stripped it and sold the working parts realising something in the order of £2k, which at the time was more that some people were getting for a working engine on eBay. However, that £2k did include everything in front of the gearbox and not just the engine. Hopefully you'll get a better price for a running refreshed engine.

Enjoy the Zetec, you'll never regret it. See you at CP in May?

cheers screens, not too sure about the palace. i was hoping to go to gurston for that weekend which would leave monday free but three 5am starts might be a bit too much!

tempting though, it's a lovely venue and the burgers are good.

Roger King engines are the knees of bees *cool* bhp figures are not the story here it's the drive ability of the unit , flexible and smooth. It will have to be some Zetec unit to replicate one of his engines

must be worth a bob or to

totally agree, bhp is a rough guide but i don't have the torque figures for either engine yet. i'm led to believe that the zetec is comparable in power but the power curve starts lower in the rev range and is therefore wider - should be tractable if that's so but i'll miss the roar and carbfarts from the crossflow. might be easier to keep the exhaust under the noise limits too.

By the way. I keep hearing of this roger king guy. Did a search & nothing but folks talking of roger king within forums. But no roger king site. I take it he is old school and isn't on the web. or is no longer with us. Someone please educate me.

Edited by - bigdog on 8 Mar 2014 21:00:22

@bigdog - he'll probably be along to educate you himself before long, he is a member and regular contributor to these forums. Pop his name into a search of techtalk and you'll find some of his posts, you can BM him from there.

Edited by - revilla on 9 Mar 2014 14:51:04

*arrowup* *thumbup* Roger is the oracle on xflow engines. Stopped fettling and playing as a business some years ago BUT lurks on BC and if you do a search you will discover a wealth of excellent info on all things crossflow since BC started *smokin*

Quoting Wile7: 
*arrowup* *thumbup* Roger is the oracle on xflow engines. Stopped fettling and playing as a business some years ago BUT lurks on BC and if you do a search you will discover a wealth of excellent info on all things crossflow since BC started *smokin*

I see. That would explain the lack of a Rodger King web page. 😬 I was just more curious than anything. I might have to do that search to clear up a an issue I'm having.

Personally I think my Webers need a rebuild. My mech in Germany is putting on a Lambda sensor to see what it's doing. It acts like it's lean but the exhaust pipe is very sooty, my fuel economy is rubbish, But the plugs don't look bad. And the warmer the engine gets the worse it runs. Which points to rich. When I go hard left I get petrol on the windscreen. But I just put new needle valves & float pins in and set the floats to 12-18.5MM.

Sorry for the temp hi-jack.

Edited by - bigdog on 9 Mar 2014 18:04:18

Edited by - bigdog on 9 Mar 2014 18:05:10