Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yokohaha

iananderson

Ian,

I can't answer your question directly but you may also want to consider the following:

When I first had my 7 it came with 15" wheels and Michelin Pilots. The best thing I ever did in respect of road handling was to change the wheels to 13" and then buy Yokohama A021Rs in 185/70/13 profile. This will not affect your gearing as the overall diameter of the 15" and 13" tyres are very similar so as to make no difference.

I made this change some 12 years/60,000 miles ago and still use the A021Rs, a good tyre for all conditions. They not last as long as the Michelins but you'll be far safer and the cost of these tyres is something like £60-£65 per corner inc. VAT (from memory)

What he said [Aeroscreens]

but if you want to keep the 15s Parrada 2s are brilliant, on my second set.

See pick below.

I have ADVAN tyres on my lotus, fantastic, Parradas a very good but if you can afford the extra go for the ADVANs

Edited by - phil on 10 Dec 2013 15:39:01

Edited by - phil on 10 Dec 2013 15:41:53

Not sure on a 7 as the tyre wall is said to be very stiff, however the AD08R is meant to be a very good road tyre and highly performance orientated.

I am actually thinking of putting a set on my tintop, an Integra R. However, given I am meant to be selling it, I am torn whether to change now or to sell the car slightly cheaper with some barely legal Michelin PE2s!

I know several people running other kits with 15 inch wheels and they all swear by Toyo R1R tyres.

Don't buy the T1Rs they are too hard.

I'm running 14 inch Yokohama a021r 185 x 60 which are excellent too *smile*

Duncan

Aeroscreens/Phil,

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
When I first had my 7 it came with 15" wheels and Michelin Pilots. The best thing I ever did in respect of road handling was to change the wheels to 13" and then buy Yokohama A021Rs in 185/70/13 profile.

I'm interested to know, is the improvement due to the smaller wheel / taller tyre, or because the A021Rs are a better tyre than the Pilot?

Thanks!

*smile*

Ian, FWIW I'm currently on 15" Yokohama S.Drives. They're not as grippy as e.g. CR500s, but they're pretty good - can still out-corner a sports bike - and about £60 each (including fitting) from Black Circles. Seem to be lasting pretty well too, might get 10,000 miles out of them.

I'm absolutely not an expert though, CR500s and these S.Drives are the only tyres I've driven a 7 on, on the road.

While we have a thread on AO21s....

I'm due some new tyres for my 13" wheels soon. I was going to go with CR500s, but getting them fitted locally is proving to be a pain, and I've been quite tempted to try the 21s...

I'm curious as to how well they perform on a dry track? I'm by no means a pro, and I'm still learning grip limits in the car (I got passed by an academy car on my last trackday and his tyres were clearly less grippy than mine!). Do you think the 21's could be a good option? I think the 48s would be too much for me, and I wouldn't be able to get the most out of them.

I'm curious as to how well they perform on a dry track? I'm by no means a pro, and I'm still learning grip limits in the car (I got passed by an academy car on my last trackday and his tyres were clearly less grippy than mine!). Do you think the 21's could be a good option?

AO21R's are fine on track but can overheat if its a very hot day. The tread doesn't wrap round the sidewall in the way, say, an R888 does so excessive roll can lead to you falling off the tread onto the plain sidewall a bit leading to loss of grip on the limit in the way you don't get with an R888. It isn't drastic but it is limiting (or fun, depending on how you look at it).

Having said that I've done several track days on 21's with no issues, and they are very much your friend should you get a bit of rain on the day.

Bob

I used some brand new 185/70R13 A021Rs at the club's Hethel day back in September when it was dry for the majority of the day and, even with a less than ideal suspension setup, they still performed incredibly well.

I would prefer to use 185/60R13s, but at £50-odd each for the 70 profiles, the cheap skate in me won the argument!

I run 195/50/15 Parrada spec 2 as shown and these are identical performance wise to the Toyo T1R they are not to hard for a 7 in my opinion, went to the Parrada tyres as the cost of the toyos had risen, would have either on my car. Very good in the wet but never tried them on the track.

I have not yet tried 13" wheels and tyres.

I wouldn't touch the Prada with a barge pole. I put them on my wife's Astra Turbo they were Dire with a capital D! Admittedly this was a few years ago.

They were one of the most unpredictable tires I have ever had the misfortune to drive. Not particularly good in the dry and diabolical in the wet!

Now the Neova AD08R are a fantastic tyre The grip both in the wet and dry is outstanding. I have them on what used to be my friends Clio 182 cup which I now have, which was driven extensively on track. I could never keep up with him in the wet despite my 7 being much faster in the dry..... but again they are not on a 7.

I am due to put my Alfa Spider back on the road in the spring and I will be fitting a set of the Neova AD08R in place of the Goodyear Eagle F1 which are now out of date being 7 years old

Back to the point. For a primarily road based 7 you wont go far wrong with A021's

The 70 section are cheaper than the 60 but get the 60's they perform better.

I try to run slick as much as possible when on track in the 7 but use the A021's as an intermediate wet tyre. They perform very well in both wet and dry conditions.

You cant beat a set of soft full wets when its monsoon conditions through. *rolleyes*

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 12 Dec 2013 17:42:29